Chapter 11

And just like that we were walking again, leaving behind the train station. Deanna's warmth faded away and was replaced by the familiar empty space. People came and went a lot in North Chesterington. I was just lucky it wasn't a revolving door of too many characters to keep up with. While I knew many people, I was certain that if I ever found myself alone for any reason, that's how it would remain. I loved people but keeping to myself was never a problem. So as I followed behind Dorian that afternoon, I kept some distance between us. Oddly enough, I felt some tension. I wanted to remind him we had work to do in Edincastle, but I didn't want to speak. I worried for the first time about saying the wrong thing, upsetting him in some way. He noticed me lagging behind but didn't stop for me to catch up; that was very unlike him. I felt sick, just the faintest touch of nausea. I worried something was wrong. He was avoiding the sunlight, staying in the shade of the pine trees. It was pleasant and peaceful there, some sunlight able to break through. Dorian walked in all the shadows while I got as much sunlight as possible, hopping back and forth between each streak touching down from up above. He looked back at me and maybe I caught a smile. We were nearing civilization again and he now stopped to wait for me. I caught up, but still strayed behind. Edincastle's town square was quiet and sunny, but just like in the forest, we remained in the shadows. Buildings loomed over us, the sun shining from behind them. They looked like important buildings, with all kinds of fancy details separating one from the other. My favorite was at the end, a light blue rectangle contrasting a dark red one beside it. It was a humble little place, reminding me of home. It was the same shade of blue as my floors. I looked back at it as we crossed the street, admiring a big mural on the side. There was a rainbow, and underneath it was a name that sounded familiar to me. Whoever it was, they were an artist, according to the text. Before I could think much about it, Dorian gently tugged me across the street. The next building was painted black and looked very important, taller than the rest with a big clock on the roof. I stared up at it in amazement. Dorian had stopped walking to look up too, checking the clock against his pocket watch. He muttered something under his breath. I asked what he said, catching something that sounded important.

"Nothing," he replied. "However, this is the documents building. We'll have to pay this place a visit sometime, but not today."

He started to walk onward, past the whole block. I stood there watching him go, feeling very compelled to go in alone. I was torn, wanting so badly to take care of things and to figure out what I couldn't remember. I couldn't go either direction, just helplessly staring at Dorian's black shape getting further and further away from me. He got a good distance before realizing I wasn't there. He turned to find me, firmly planted where he was; he wasn't coming back for me. I tested him, inching closer to the building. Yes, it was like a game to me. Dorian was none to happy but refusing to make up the distance. When I quickly ran inside, I saw him sigh deeply, disappointed. I liked what I saw inside. The high ceilings were gold plated and shiny. The molding was covered in gold leaf, made to look like it had some amount of gold inlays. It was all paint, but it was so elegant. The floors were so shiny, almost looking like silver. I didn't get to see much before the door opened behind me. Dorian was there, not explosively angry but angry nonetheless. He grabbed my hand and pulled me out, yanking me down the road. All the way, he was growling on and on about how today was not a good day to pull that sort of thing. I was confused, as not too long before he was in good spirits. What had angered him so much? It couldn't have been me, as I'd barely even spoken. My actions spoke for me, I guess. Dorian didn't let go of me until we were just outside that night's venue. He towered over me, saying nothing. Somehow that was more threatening than if he had spoken. Reluctant and afraid, I let him go inside without me. I watched him through the glass door, figuring out where he was going before starting up the steps to follow him. I was sure that something was wrong now, though not entirely sure if it was the demons. Something was making him act this way. The beauty of the venue helped me feel better. It was painted almost entirely purple with a few red details. The room Dorian went into at the end of the hall had a heavy wooden door. He held it open, waiting for me. When I got there, he shut it firmly and walked me to a table in the corner. In the dim lighting, he watched me, every move I made. I sat across from him, avoiding eye contact at first.