Chapter One

"...and it can all change in an instant..."

That afternoon, in the backyard of the massive estate, under the willow tree as the warm winds of spring blew by us, things were changing. They were changing in a big way, and with each gust of wind, I could feel it on the air. The atmosphere had a different feeling altogether, warm but still light and not heavy like it usually was. It brought pleasant vibrations, but something felt off. The world had gone off tilt, now hanging at a strange angle, dangling by a thread. Any minute now, things could come crashing down. Life as we knew it would spiral out of control, some even ceasing to exist. A fleeting moment of consciousness gone in an instant. Though we were fine, perhaps we were hurdling toward nothingness, off of the hill and down into the harsh realities. Beyond my grasp, the harsh reality was darkness, and that's all I knew. A false sense of calm remained for now, sitting there, just basking in it. I hoped it wouldn't end, because what awaited me in the eventuality shook me to my core. There, in the vast beautiful green landscape, I felt at peace. Maybe nothing could harm me, but in a way, I knew better. I took shelter under the shady tree, stretching up into the sky above me. There were many trees in the yard, a whole forest, and I preferred the ones hidden by so many leaves and things. I sat alone, listening to the voices not too far from me. A large yard could house a whole host of family, people I would rather not speak to. I was more content with the nature that surrounded us, not sure why the others weren't also enjoying its beauty. Not at all tied up in the conversations they had, I was lost in my own wandering, meandering thoughts. They wound all over my brain like a long river, or a train track. I would say it was quieter than a train, mostly during the day. At night, it really was like a freight train, not letting me rest. I never slept. Worries, plans, various things all kept me awake at night. I didn't sleep during the day either. Nobody allowed that. This day was far worse. The one day when I could sleep all day, ruined by some child's birthday party. I liked children, as they thought I was amusing. But this child... He wasn't like them. We didn't get along. His mother planted the idea in his head that I belonged in an institution, which was probably true, and you'll see why at some point, sooner or later. You'll also see why I don't fit in with my family, or society as we've come to know it, at any point over the years.

I could hear the old man's voice droning on, louder over the rest of the speaking voices. They all sat at long tables, too close for my comfort. When I was younger and more involved in family affairs, I liked the middle seat. I felt important, being the center of attention. Then the family grew, and I was slowly pushed the end of the table, where I sat, head in hand, annoyed by the singing and laughter and gossip. Oh how I wanted to throw the cherry gelatin or the salad right at my aunt's face. I laughed just thinking about it, every time I imagined her stupid shocked expression. Its what she deserved after all, cheating on my uncle and taking him for everything he had. She spent all his money on horses, new additions to their house, and every newfangled product that came on the market. I hated her guts, and after I became an adult, I no longer took part in festivities. I wasn't wanted anyway. So for years, I darted off, only listening to conversations and sitting alone in solitude. I wasn't missed, I didn't miss them. Perfect trade off. I wasn't going to expose myself to ridicule any longer. I looked up at the sky instead, watching birds nesting. Beyond the leafy tree branches, the sky was entirely blue, no clouds in sight. Funny, it smelled like rain. I almost wished it would, but I was enjoying my day. Rain on the little parade. While I did want happiness for everyone, (I wasn't entirely wronged by them), I felt it would serve them right for any wrongdoings that may have gone on. I was feeling some particular malice that day, but it slid from my brain and didn't return. Caught up in listening to voices over yonder, I played with a little string of green beads hanging from the pocket of my velvet jacket. They caught in the light, small rays of green and yellow radiating out from them. I liked the sound they made, clicking and rattling as I ran the string over and over in my hand. It was one of many good luck charms I'd attached to my jacket, others coming in the form of fabric patches and shiny things of all sorts. A decently sized skeleton key hung on a chain from the topmost button, its gold coating wearing off a bit. The buttons were silver, with small rhinestones embedded in them. Some had fallen out, leaving dark holes in their place.