Chapter 7

Part of our journey involved going back the way we came to get to Devonbury, but we took an unexpected turn. Our new route was away from the dirt path, so I sadly didn't get to see the tree again. I didn't mind much, walking side by side with Dorian on a new well lit trail. The trees towered well above our heads and provided pleasant shade. They were thick trees, clumped close together on either side but spread far apart to create a spacious area for us to walk and goof off. Dorian was in the strangest mood, making jokes and laughing. That was his true personality among friends, able to loosen up with people like me. I was happy to know he wasn't serious all the time. I hoped it would last a while, letting him chase me through the trees. It became like our old games where we chased each other around tables. In those games, hiding under the table was an advantage. Whoever could get in between the chairs was "safe". Other kids joined us and Dorian was usually the guard. It was kind of like tag but we gave it a different name and new rules. It was a silly game but an integral part of our childhood. There was no real end goal, just that everybody had fun. The smaller kids were able to hide from the bigger kids, and could run faster. That was one of my favorite memories now that I could really remember it clearly. And it was all fun and games until somebody else hijacked it and under the table became "jail". Dorian and I moved on to bigger and better things after that, like playing detective and spying on people.

Looking back on those days, it was delightful to see Dorian was still playful and liked to have fun. I could still run much faster than him, able to squeeze in between trees planted close together. He didn't have the hardest time keeping up with me, but he had to catch his breath every once in a while. That gave me time to get away. I didn't run too far ahead, just enough to cover some ground. The trees were densely packed together, with limbs just full of leaves sticking out everywhere. It was easy to hide, so I crouched behind a thick tree, perhaps the thickest I'd seen. I heard Dorian's footsteps galloping toward me and then they slowed down. He leaned against the tree next to me, stopping to take a few deep breaths. I watched to make sure he was okay, supposing we should stop running now. When his breathing remained heavy and uneven for longer than usual, I became concerned. I stayed low to the ground, peeking out at him. He took off his dark glasses and placed them back in his pocket, then pushed his graying hair behind his ear. His true age was showing, how he really wasn't what he used to be. It made me sad. Soon I was back by his side, my head on his shoulder. His breathing was still not returning to normal and I was growing increasingly concerned. Familiar with me and my mind, he patted my shoulder and assured me he was fine.

"You worry too much," he said. "If you must worry, worry about the gate, not me, for Pete sake."

He dusted himself off and just like that we continued onward. I let him have some space but I stayed close by his side. For a while I watched Artois in front of us, his tail high up and bouncing. It was much fluffier than usual, on high alert. Not once did he pick his nose up from the ground. I wondered what he smelled, hoping it was good stuff and that we were getting closer to home. The sky beyond the treetops was getting darker, from dark blue to purple. I could still see the sun on the horizon just barely peeking through gaps in the trees. There weren't many gaps, but all the ones there were filled with red sunset. We were still hours away from the deepest darkest part of night, but nearing my home. The forest was alive with flowering trees scattering their flowers and leaves all across the ground. Piles of pink and white petals littered the ground, all sorts of pleasant smells in the air. Artois' tail flicked happily and he walked in more relaxed strides. The two of us picked up our pace, eager to be closer to home. Dorian strayed behind but let us go ahead, a small smile on his lips. My cottage was in view now, hiding behind a couple trees and surrounded by all sorts of foliage. We got there and Artois ran off into a row of bushes by the house. I waited for him to come back out but he didn't. I shrugged, supposing he had some business to attend to. I unlocked the door with my gold key and led Dorian inside. It was so surreal to be back, and I still struggled to tell if it was reality. I had a better grip on it now that I'd been in North Chesterington a few days. My memory of the cottage was clearer, so I made my way to the front room. It was cozy and full of soft chairs, with a white brick fireplace. I lit a small fire, getting warmth circulating through the room. It was so much different than Dorian's home, with light muted colors instead of black and red. The wooden floors of my house were painted light blue for some reason. It was a calming color, reminiscent of the sea. My home was so small and cozy, nearly making Dorian look out of place there. I had no electricity, and the sun was setting fast. I lit some candles and shone more light on the situation. Once we were settled in a little bit, I asked Dorian what would be coming next.