Chapter 39

"Shit," Stefan muttered under his breath when he saw Cameron's car pulling up infront of the house.

"Let me talk to him," Damon announced when he joined Stefan by the window.

As Cameron got out of his car and stepped up onto the decking, he raised his hand to knock but accidentally hit Damon's chest with his knuckles as the door opened.

"I guess you must've seen me coming," Cameron grinned but his smile faded when he realised that Damon was not happy to see him.

"We need to have a little chat," Damon scowled as he stepped out onto the decking and closed the door.
"If this is about the arguement between me and Ash at the party I just came to apologi-"
"Oh so I guess you haven't been told yet."
"Told what?"
"Might wanna change your status to single again unless you're into dating dead girls."
"What?"
"Ash killed Maddison last night. And I'd like to know why you weren't there to stop her before she drained her of blood."
"Holy shit! You're not messing with me are you?"
"Honestly bud, kinda wish I was eventhough that girl was a bitch."
"Holy crap!" Cameron buried his face in his hands and murmured: "This is all my fault. I'm so fucking stupid."
"What do you mean it was your fault?" Damon asked pulling Cameron's hands away from his face and stooping down to look him dead in the eyes.
"Ash...well...Maddison got us all to play Spin the Bottle and it ended with me making out with her and Ash running off."

Damon's eyes narrowed as he processed this new information.

"I would punch you in the face if you weren't her friend."
"I'm really sorry I didnt mean for any of this to happen she just ran off and said she just needed some fresh air then when she didn't come back I thought she'd phoned you to come pick her up."
"What about Maddison? Weren't worried as to why she had run off and followed Ash?"
"I told her to fuck off and stay away from me. She left the room extremely pissed off but I didn't know she was running off to find Ash."

Damon turned on his heel and leant against the wooden rail of the decking, lost in thought.

"She's a mess you know," Damon started to say. "It's as if every sin seems to drain her happiness more and more. She hasn't eaten or drank anything since the incident and I've only ever gotten her to smile once. If I hadn't intervened she'd still be sat in there in bloody clothes."

Cameron walked over to Damon, burying his hands deep into his pockets.

"Maybe I can help," he offered. "I know she probably hates me right now but it's worth a try."

****

"Ash," Damon called out but Ash didn't respond and just kept facing forward. "You have a visitor. But just do us both a favour and try not to kill him."

She still didn't respond.

Damon held the door open wider and stepped aside so Cameron could walk in.

"Hey," Cameron called out as he took slow steps towards Ash.

Even though she had her back to him, from where she sat on the sofa she lifted her arm above her head, flipping her middle finger up at him from behind.

"I guess I deserve that," Cameron sighed.

"Do you want me to leave?" Elijah asked getting up from the armchair.

"Stay where you are," Damon whispered and Elijah sat back down.

Cameron walked over and sat down at the opposite end of the sofa.