Chapter 34

"Stay! Away! From! The door!" Damon yelled at Ash when they heard someone knock on the door that afternoon. "Last time you answered that door you died and I'm not letting it happen again."

"Ok, ok I'm backing away," Ash exclaimed with her hands in the air as she began to take steps back.
"Stefan get the door."

"What?" Stefan cried. "So you care if Ash dies but you don't care if I die."

"You're more used to danger, Stefan," Damon explained. "Whereas my daughter who is still not used to having enemies despite the fact she is a lot less merciful than I am, is most likelier to get hurt than you are."
"Fine then. But if I get killed I'm haunting you for the rest of your life."

Ash laughed at their quarrelling but soon stopped when Damon shot her a warning look.

Stefan walked past Ash and turned the door handle. It creaked open to reveal an exhausted looking Caleb standing on the decking.

"You're more stupider than I thought," Stefan spat at him as his eyes turned red and he growled through his fangs.

"Hey, hey calm down I just want to talk," Caleb said raising his hand above his head. "I have no intentions of hurting Ash or anyone for that matter."
"Well it's not really up to me what happens to you."

"What's going on brother?" Damon asked appearing beside Stefan in a split second. "Oh...it's him. You have ten seconds to get out of here or you can kiss your perfect little life goodbye."

"Please just let me talk to Ash," Caleb tried to reason with them.
"And like my brother said it's not up to us it depends on whether or not she's willing to let you speak."
"Where is she?"
"She's here. But she doesn't want to show her face."
"Can you just tell her that I saw her fighting with Cameron and I just wanted to make sure she was ok...and maybe even try and make amends."
"What?"
"I said-"
"I know what you said...just wait here for a moment I need to have a little chat with Ash."

Damon closed the door and turned to Ash who was hiding in the shadows, observing quietly.

"What's this I hear about you having a fight with Cameron?" he states folding his arms.

"Since when did you feel the need to know about everything that happens in my life?" Ash shot back at him, copying the way he folded his arms and puffed out his chest.
"Since I found out you're my daughter."
"Well it's none of your business what happens privately between me and my friends so don't expect an answer from me."

Damon's eyes turned red as he stared into hers which had also changed to yellow. It was as if they were communicating through staring into each others eyes.

After a while, Damon's eyes turned back to blue then he turned on his heel and opened the door.

"Five minutes," he informs Caleb and steps aside so Ash can walk out onto the decking. She's scowling.

Once the door is closed on the two of them there is a tense silence.

****

"What's going on?" Elijah asked as he walks down the stairs rubbing his wet hair with a towel.

"Caleb showed up again," Stefan informed him not taking his eyes off the window which faced the decking.
"What and you're just gonna let her stand out there alone with that scum!"

"Hey, calm your tits Elijah," Damon exclaimed. "If she can defeat you in a fist fight I'm sure she'll do just fine with this one. And anyway I don't plan on taking my eyes off that kid for one second."