Chapter 5

It had been two hours since Ash had closed her eyes and Damon had been waiting patiently for her long shallow breathing to tell him whether or not she was asleep.

Now seemed the right time to take a closer look at the ruby necklace Ash wore round her neck.

He slowly rose from his seat and took cautious steps forward. Every move as quiet as a mouse.

Damon stood towering above Ash as she slept peacefully. He moved his hand towards the necklace.

Just when his fingers were mere inches from touching the locket, he felt something grab his wrist and twist it round sharply.

Damon cried out in pain, gritting his teeth so tightly together they might break.

"Never try and steal from me again," Ash said to him.

She let go of his wrist. He took a few steps back in utter shock at her strength and sharp reflexes.

Damon held his wrist in his hand and braced himself for the agony he'd be in once he popped it back into place.

"What the hell was that for!" Damon yelled.
"You tried to take my necklace," Ash replied with a satisfied grin.
"So you broke my wrist?"
"It will heal soon."
"I'm starting to regret saving your life."
"Good because it would have been much nicer dead than living the life I have now!"

Ash's eyes flashed yellow for a brief moment then returned to their normal shade of green.

Damon noticed this but decided it was just the light from the fire reflecting in her eyes.

She scowled at him before rolling over on the sofa so her back was facing him.

****

"Where's my phone?" Ash asked with an over exaggerated smile on her face.

Damon looked up from the mini fridge he was rummaging through and turned his head in her direction.

"What the hell?" he exclaimed when he saw her leaning against the door frame, arms folded and green eyes boring into his. "How did you get down here?"

He slammed the lid of the box fridge shut and stood infront of it as if he were guarding its contents.

"Stefan told me you were in the basement," Ash stated. "What's in the box?"
"None of your business."
"Is it a corpse?"
"No! Why would I keep a dead corpse in my basement?"
"Why wouldn't you?"

Damon tried to avert his eyes from hers but they seemed to be compelling the truth out of him.

He reluctantly lifted the lid of the box and Ash peered in.

"Are they blood bags?" Ash asked.

The whole container was filled with plastic bags of a red substance. Labels had been stuck to each bag with the town's hospital logo displayed on it.

"Yep," Damon responded. "Have to survive some how."

"So where is it?" Ash asked.
"Where's what?" Damon furrowed his brow in confusion.
"My phone." She held out her hand.
"Do you really think I'm going to be stupid enough to give you a chance at telling the police you've been kidnapped but 'hey dont worry I'll be released in 48 hours'."
"I just need to call my aunt to let her know I'm ok. I'm sure you wouldn't want me reported missing and have the cops come knocking on your door."

There was silence between them as Damon considered his options.

Eventually he sighed and reluctantly pulled the phone out of his back pocket, placing it in Ash's outstretched hand.