1.

The night was frigid and moist. The rain was heavy and it pounded on the roof. A young black haired boy sat on his bed holding a teddy bear as he stared at the ceiling. It was covered in tiny white stars that seemed to give a glow on his room and as he gazed at it, thoughts clouded his mind.

I wonder where the stars come from. I know that they are matter in space but where in space? They say that space is nothing, but if it was nothing, then there wouldn't be something in it. Right? the boy pondered followed by a sigh. Why does one persist that we, humans, are the most complex items in the universe, when we don't even know what's out there? He sighed as he thought deeper on the matter.

The boy's name was Lawliet. At least that's what his parents called him. He wasn't even aware if he had a last name or not. All he knew was his first name. Not ever before had he seen another child before. He hadn't even been out of the massive mansion in his life, which was only eight years. The only people who he knew were his parents. Of course, he knew there were other people out there; he just never spoken or seen them personally. No one, besides his parents, even knew he existed. His life so far was a very isolated one, so you could imagine he had some quirks about him.

"Lawliet! Lawliet!" a woman's voice called from down stairs.

"Yes, Mother?" the boy responded loudly so his voice could carry to her.

"Come down! Your father and I want to speak to you!" this mother called again.

"Ugh," Lawleit sighed as he got up off his bed. "Yes, Mother!"

He quickly slipped on some dressy clothes and hopped down the stairs. It was a rule that was in their house: to always dress formal unless you were about to go to sleep, which even their sleepwear was also kind of fancy. But Lawleit wasn't too big on nice things. He could care less if he lived in a mansion or in a shack, even though all he knew in his life was a big mansion with more room than they needed.

He finally made his way downstairs to his parents. If you saw them, you could tell there was a big difference between them.

His mother had a serious demeanor about her. She watched her son with her caring yet stern black eyes as he cautiously stepped down the stairs.

His father on the other hand was the complete opposite. He was the care-free and fun-loving type who was good with kids because, in some ways, he acted like one. Every time he heard the word 'fun,' his eyes lit up.

"Hey, buddy!" Lawliet's dad greeted as he shot up the stairs and trapped him in a tight hug.

"Hello, Father," he replied back in a squeak.

"Agh! You could have caused him to fall!" his mother shrieked from the bottom of the stairs.

"He smiled at his son and picked him up, "Well, he didn't, but he probably almost did because of how loud you yelled. Right, buddy?"

His father always called him buddy. It was like an informal name that his dad had given him, like a second name.

Lawliet giggled and replied, "Mom, you can be terrifying,"

His mother ignored the comment and commanded, almost telling her husband, "Come down here,"

"Okey-dokey~," Lawliet's dad replied to his wife as he ran down with his son. Lawliet and his dad were laughing and beaming until they got to the bottom.

She glowered at her husband and mouthed something that made him frown. Lawleit noticed the immediate change in his father and began to inquire, "What's wrong?"

"Um, buddy...uh," his father struggled to say as he scratched his head.

"Your father and I will be gone for awhile, Lawleit," his mother responded cutting him off.

Lawleit's face was stunned as he made a puzzled face, "Gone? What do you mean gone? Where are you going? Why can't I come with you?"

His father continued to scratch his head and replied, "It's...mature things, buddy. You wouldn't understand; it'll be best for you to stay here,"

"But I am mature! You say that I'm mature all the time!" Lawleit argued as he stomped his foot on the floor that created an echo that was sent through the room.

"We refuse to argue with you. Now, we have arranged for someone to look after you for this short while. Be sure to be on your best behavior," his mother plainly stated with a vague look on her face. "Now, let's go," she told her husband as she faced him.

"Hold on just a second. I didn't expect you to break it to him so quickly," his father said with a glower on his face.

"We don't have much time," she snapped as she stated at him.

He heaved a sigh and said,"Fine, but at least let me say goodbye,"

His wife nodded and he ran to Lawleit and gave him a bone-crushing hug. He got an uneasy feeling from his father. He knew that when his dad was nervous, he should be. Lawleit had always saw him as being fearless. His hug was like he never wanted to let him go.

"Do you really have to go?" Lawleit questioned with melancholy.

"I'm afraid we do, buddy. I don't like it either but you'll see us again soon, alright?" his father said in his ear as he kept his tight hold on him.

He let go a little bit and said, "Be good, okay? I love you so much,"

"I love you too, Father," Lawleit smiled half-heartily. In his mind he thought, If you love me so much, why are you leaving me?

His father sighed and kissed the top of his beloved son's head and said, "Goodbye for now, buddy,"

And then both he and his wife headed out of the doors of the mansion. Lawleit watched the black ominous gates open and his parents exit them, leaving Lawliet truly alone.

He sat for a moment, thinking of what to do when a thought struck him.

"I should go after them," Lawleit finally concluded aloud. "That's the only way I'll know what's going on. Something's not right. They're in danger and I must protect them, Yes! I must!"

Lawleit then put together an outfit quickly that he didn't think about how his appearance was. Despite the pouring rain, he didn't put on a raincoat. Instead, he out a simple long-sleeved shirt on and put on blue jeans that were kind of loose on him. And his feet...

"Auurrgghhh! I don't have time for this!" Lawleit cried as he struggled to lace on his shoes. "Wait, I don't need shoes. Generations of people lived before they were even invented," he suddenly said and tossed his shoes behind him. "There we go. I'm all set. Mother, Father, I'm coming!" Lawleit announced as if they could hear him and ran to the door.

But right when he got to the door he became scared. Not for himself but for them. He had never once been outside. What if once I find them, they are already dead?

Lawliet bit his lip and shook his head, releasing his mind of doubts. "I must go, for their sake,"

He put his hand on the old knob and turned it slightly until it clicked. He let go and was immediately attacked by water. But instead of getting scared, it made him braver somehow. His slow pace hastened and he headed toward the gates. He was able to tweak with the lock in a quick fashion. Now he was truly out in the world and nothing could stop him.

I was so foolish back then. If had known better, I would have saw they were protecting me, and it would have been best if I had just stayed and waited for them. Why didn't I just stay?