Chapter Four: Fight

In Bellwood Mental institution, the girls were in a large room of tables and chairs were they could talk for a few hours and socilize. The workers paced about, listening to the girls' conversations in case it was anything that would lead to a fierce fight.

In the corner of the room Matilda stood in the middle of Riccardo and Toby. She leaned over to Toby, tightly gripping her notebook that she kept with her for safe keeping. It contained information on every girl, every illness, every fight, everything... Apart from Catalina Belli.

"Keep a good eye on Catherine," she said, "I'm still wary of her being around the other patients."

"I don't think you should call her that," suggested Toby. "She'll only drag you into those little mind games of her's. I've seen her do it already with other patients."

Riccardo grinned. "It seems that eye of your's isn't all too good, Toby," he said.

A girl was walking over to Catherine, who was sat quietly, gazing at the surface of the table. Her name was Isabella Grange, the popularist one of the lot. She found her entertainment in fights and had never lost.

"I heard you're the little insane one who butchered her sister," she said. "Gunna' do the same here? Go on...  I'll let you take the first punch," she teased.

Catherine didn't answer.

"Isabella!" said Toby, slowly walking over. Many of the workers went silent, watching to see if Catherine would retaliate. 

She ignored him. "Oh, I see... You don't have your knife, am I right?" Isabella slapped Catherine beside the knife. "I expect an ans-"

Isabella flew back with a punch from Catherine. Catherine pushed the table away and pinned Isabella to the floor, hitting her one more. Her hands wrapped around Isabella's large neck. "Say anything about Fiona again and I'll murder you!"

But Toby pulled her off seconds later with several others to help him. Catherine kicked Isabella before Toby dragged her towards the door. Catherine tried with all her might to try and hit Isabella again but her fist was stopped by Toby's own hand wrapped over her's.

"Let me go!" she yelled.

"You're coming with me to cool down," he said. He could feel Catherine trying to make herself heavier by dragging her body down as she was dragged away. 

"No," shouted Matilda, giving Catherine a fierce look. "She's coming with me." Matilda gripped Catherine's arm and pulled her out of the room as the others dealt with Isabella. 

Catherine felt Matilda's hand almost squash her own. "You're hurting me!" she said, giving Matilda a stern look through the few strands of hair that had fallen over her face. 

When they were in her office, Matilda locked the door. She rushed over to her desk and leaned on the edge, pushing her hair out of her face as she took a deep breath. "What the hell happened out there, Catherine?" she yelled, furiously.

"She was talking about Fiona!" snapped Catherine. She began to throw files about the room in anger, hitting the cupboard at the corner of the room as she screamed. 

She didn't know what she was feeling anymore. Was she greiving? Or angry? Or even just tired? Nothing made any sense to her anymore. Catherine began to laugh through the anger, but it wouldn't work. 

"You never rataliate back like that," said Matilda. "You tell us before it gets out of hand! You're really not helping yourself. And all the things you've been telling me, nobody will believe you, because you've got no real evidence to show all this. I mean, a strange castle, a man who needs some sort of lifesource to live, and you- you just top it all off as nonsence. What messed up fairytales did you read as a child?"

Catherine dropped the sheets of paper in her hands and slouched down the wall until she could hug her knees tightly to her chest. She began to cry. The more she tried to hold back the tears, the more tears rolled down her face.

"It's not working on me," snapped Matilda.

"You want to know what happened do you?" said Catherine, looking up at her. "He saved me that day for two reasons. My body can't create blood, so whatever I have has to do for a lifetime.The Azoth in my blood was a back-up. I was a trap for my sister's Azoth, but I wasn't supposed to know. He took everything away from me. The more angry I was, the more I'd hate Fiona. I was told to believe whatever he said to me because I knew no better."

Matilda walked up to Catherine until she was standing right in front of her. "Did you kill Fiona?" she asked, calmly, kneeling down in front of Catherine.

"It was an accident," she whispered. "The knife was still in my hand when she hugged me..." There as a small wimper from her. "...and I didn't know what to do. She was too weak to be saved. I wanted to save her, though. But it was better for her that way. She was gone somewhere Riccardo couldn't take her Azoth."

Matilda hugged Catherine, not knowing why for a momet. But then she smiled. "I believe you."