"The books are vital. We need to get them before they do," Jonathan said.

"Do they have access to your apartment?" Nikolas asked.

"They have keys, but they aren't on the access form. It seemed like a minor detail when I was filling out the paper work, but for whatever reason, I didn't put them on it. Maybe subconsciously, I knew better."

"Well, the night is almost gone. I suggest tomorrow we retrieve them."

"Sounds like the start of a plan," Chevonne said with a yawn. Elliot put his arm around her shoulder and she lay her head on his chest.

"Avoiding them until after your birthday would also be a great idea." Jonathan leaned back in his chair, finally looking comfortable after his confession.

"Again, I agree. Get the books. Hide out here," she said as her eyes grew heavy. "Birthday..."

"Get some rest, Chevonne." Elliot's words led her into the dark.

~~~

The wind blew wild and she once again stared at the figure to beautiful to be real. Nyx. The goddess of night. She floated in front of her. Her shining green eyes the only color in the dark she found herself.

"You have strength, my daughter. You bested your fears. And in doing so, you began to create a bond. A bond that will help you in the coming days."

"A bond? I thought those were..."

There was a sense of laughter from the woman in front of her.

"You share my bloodline, though, that is a very simplified statement. You are descended from me, through other gods and goddesses. Then those deities who found human lovers, until you are truly mortal. My children, like the one who holds you so gently this moment, and those around you, will be your consorts. However, you must bind them. You must use their strength in this fight. Because of your lineage, you have no reason to fear. Blood calls to blood. Blood also protects blood."

"How do I stop them?"

"Bind your lovers."

"I'm afraid."

"Every fear you overcome only adds to your strength."

"You are a goddess. What can I do that you can't?"

The figure grew closer, the swirls of darkness almost obscuring her. All but those brilliant green eyes.

"Those who hurt you seek to control me through you. To control my children. They intend I take your mortal body and be their slave. That will not happen. It cannot happen. Not if you wish to live. They do not know the danger."

"But what—"

"Bind them, daughter" The voice was a whisper as the figure faded. "Bind them and live."

~~~

Chevonne stretched before opening her eyes, the little groan slipping from her lips. Had she ever slept so well?

A finger touched her lip and she froze.

The laughter was dark and she would know it anywhere. Is this where the threats come in? It wasn't her fault. Why was he in her room?

"Elliot... I—"

The finger traced the curve of her lower lip and she opened her eyes. "You've done nothing," he said, stroking the skin of her cheek. "I was simply watching you sleep."