Chapter 1: The Happy Hotel

Alastor walked down the street, smiling at the trembling demons on the sidewalk. He waved to them all, making them sprint away to the end of hell. He laughed at them. He beamed at his ability to make the strongest of demons cower in fear. He kept walking until he reached the lit small building at the end of the street. He opened the door and stepped into the bar. It looked as it usually did. A bunch of drunk demons embarrassing themselves on the dance floor.

He sat down and asked for a small drink. The bartender nodded and got to work. Alastor had his drink in a matter of seconds. He looked around the bar, catching sight of his drinking buddy. Angel Dust sat on a sofa in the corner, flirting with every demon and fanning himself with his first set of hands. Alastor waved, catching Angel Dust's attention immediately. Angel Dust grinned, got up from the sofa, and sashayed towards Alastor. Some drunk demons stared at his butt as he walked over.

"What's up, radio boy," he asked as he ordered for another drink. Alastor smiled. 
"Nothing too important. What about you," he asked, hoping to hear something interesting.

Angel Dust grinned mischievously. "I started hanging with two hot demon girls. They've been doing this 'passion project' thing about rehabilitating demons. They got a hotel on the other side of town. Talk about garbage," Angel laughed. Suddenly, the bartender placed his drink on the counter and walked away. Angel Dust chugged the drink down and smashed the glass onto the counter.

"What do you have to do with this? This sounds like goody-two-shoes work," Alastor teased, elbowing Angel. He brushed his shoulder off with a grin.

"I'm only involved because they let me stay there rent free if I tag along with this garbage," Angel rolled his eyes in annoyance.

Suddenly, the door opened. Everyone stared at the doorway. Two young women stood there, one of them staring at Angel Dust with pure disgust. She speed-walked towards him and pointed her finger in his face. "I knew we would find you here, you massive gay lord," she insulted, annoyed. The other girl merely stood there not saying a word. She would look at Alastor every now and then but would look away when he noticed. Finally, she spoke up.

"Calm down, Vaggie. It doesn't hurt to have a little fun once in a while," she smiled nervously. The girl, who's name was apparently Vaggie, stared back at her with disgust. 

"Charlie, he comes here every day to come get drunk like a maniac," she screamed. Charlie backed up, still smiling. Angel Dust frowned.

"Let's just go back to the hotel. I wanna eat some actual food. See ya, radio boy," he waved as they walked towards the door. Charlie took one last look at Alastor before she closed the door behind her. Alastor got up and left from the back exit. He stared at the empty streets of hell. He noticed a lit sign at the very top of it all. It read 'Happy Hotel.' 

He smiled and began walking towards the sign. Maybe he could give them a friendly little hello. And a friendly smile. 

*****

Charlie opened the door to the outdoor balcony and pulled out her phone. She scrolled through her contacts list. She pressed on her mom's phone number. She sat on the ground and listened to the phone ring. An automatic voice mail followed. She began mumbling to the phone, leaving a voice mail amongst the many others she had left. She hung up and ran inside the hotel.

She sat against the front door, knocking her head harshly against it. She closed her eyes, scolding herself about what a failure she was. She had totally messed up the interview and now the hotel seemed like an absolute joke. She sighed and slapped her forehead. "I can't give up just yet," she told herself. 

Suddenly, a knock was heard from the other side of the door. Charlie stood up in shock. Someone had actually come to the hotel? Even after the fool she had made out of herself? She hesitated but slowly opened the door. There, she saw the tall, red deer standing before her. It was the radio demon! The same radio demon from the bar. He opened his red eyes, his smile sinister and scary. 

"Hell-," he began. Instantly, Charlie shut the door. She panted in shock before she opened it again. "O-," he continued. But she shut the door again. She looked down the hallway. "Hey, Vaggie. The radio demon is at the door," she said nervously. She saw her friend stand up from the couch. "What," she screamed. Angel Dust completely ignored them and sucked on a popsicle.

"What should I do," Charlie asked in a panic.
"Well, don't let him in," Vaggie demanded.

Charlie stared at the door. She knew he was bad but it was rude to just shut a door on someone. She grabbed the handle and opened the door. The radio demon stood there, his face totally patient and happy. "May I speak now," he asked politely.

Charlie pouted. "You may," she told him.
Suddenly, he stormed in and took her hand. "Alastor, pleasure to meet you," he smiled widely.

Charlie was shocked. He was very energetic. "Sorry to interrupt but I heard that you ran this quaint hotel. And I wanted to give my best regards in person," he yelled, laughing. Suddenly, a spear pointed a couple inches from his face. Vaggie stood there, firmly standing in front of him with a spear in hand. She looked very angry.

"Hold it right there. I will not let you hurt anyone here, you smiling, talk show, demon," she yelled at him. Alastor continued to smile and slid her spear away. 

"Dear, if I wanted to hurt anyone here, I would have done so already. But no, I am here because I am absolutely touched by this young girl's confidence in rehabilitating demons," he smiled, pulling Charlie close enough to him to feel her breathing. 

Charlie smiled. Maybe this Alastor fellow could help with this hotel. It would certainly make the hotel look more presentable. She looked up at him and smiled. 

"Alright, Mr. Radio Demon, I would like to ask if you would like to help run this hotel," she said. Alastor stared at her for a moment and laughed. 

"Are you kidding? I would be honored! This hotel proves itself to be very entertaining," he beamed. Vaggie's mouth gaped open at Charlie. Vaggie grabbed Charlie's arm and dragged her away. She stopped far away from Alastor.

"Charlie, you can't work with this creep. He's not just a happy face. He's pure evil and can't be redeemed. If anything, he's looking for a way to interrupt everything that we're trying to do," she scolded Charlie.

Charlie sighed and stared back at Alastor. "We don't know that. Look, I know he has a bad reputation but this whole thing is about giving people another chance. How could I turn somebody away," she asked.

Vaggie sighed sadly and admitted her defeat. In the clear, Charlie walked towards Alastor and stared up at his tall figure. He stared down at her, his smile patient. "Have you decided," he asked. Charlie gulped and breathed.

"We have. I agree that you may help with this hotel. On the condition that there are no spells or voodoo strings attached," Charlie explained. Alastor seemed willing enough to accept.

He shrugged. "Fair enough," he smiled. His staff disappeared in a red dust and he began walking around the room.

Charlie sighed with a smile. "Cool beans," she said.