IV

Chapter four.

"You're a fucking jerk! I can't believe that you would do that to her!"

Who is that? And why are they shouting? And ouch — why does my head hurt? Everything is dark and the back of my head is throbbing.

I can't see anything, have I gone blind? Is this what being blind is like because if it is then I don't know how people do it. I can literally hear my heart thumping in my eardrums, getting faster and faster and faster.

"You know that it wasn't true!" A different person shouts this time, only making the throbbing in the back of my head significantly worse. Who is that? There voice is deep and smooth like velvet but also holds a huskiness to it.

"That doesn't make it any better you moron! God Jay, why do you constantly do this shit to her? You don't realise what you've done!"

Who's Jay and what has he done? The girl who's shouting at him sounds angry. I recognise her voice, it's buried in the back of my mind but I can't think properly around this burning pain.

I try to open my eyes but they feel too heavy. My muscles ache and I don't think I can even lift a finger right now.

"Well explain it to me then because all that I've heard from you this last hour is how I don't realise what I've done and guess what? I don't because you won't tell me!"

"Her father is the fucking Mayor you absolute dipshit! Her entire family are some of the biggest Christians in town and you know how strict they are. If they find out that she's slept with somebody before marriage you don't understand how much trouble she'd be in! You don't understand what kind of people they are Jared."

Okay so they're talking about me. And I think my senses are finally coming back to me because I know exactly who Jared is and I know exactly who's talking. But how the hell does Katie know what type of people my parents are? I haven't told her.

Oh god this is bad, this is very bad. If people find out then they could go to jail. I can't let that happen no matter what they've done.

"Katie," Jared's voice turns dark all of a sudden and it scares me. "You better not be implying what I fucking think you're implying."

Okay now I'm lost here.

"Oh god, no! They've never hit Mary. That's not what I'm saying." Katie sounds so worried and I wonder why. Where even am I? What happened?

"Then tell me goddamn it!"

I attempt to open my eyes again as my stomach twists and turns. I think I'm going to be sick.

I thank the heavens when they comply and open, only for me to shut them again quickly when I'm momentarily blinded by the bright lights. I groan quietly, turning around on my side as I re-open my eyes and look at my surroundings.

I'm in an unfamiliar room. The walls are painted a dark grey and there are a few posters of hockey players hanging off of them. There is an alarm clock on the bedside table next to me that reads 3:45 pm and there is a photo of a young boy and girl in a picture frame next to it.

My eyes widen when I recognise the two children and I sit up quickly, hissing in pain as my head throbs again and black spots appear in my vision. The shouting must have come from outside because I'm alone in Jared's room.

The wall facing me holds a mirror and I want to hide from my reflection. I look like death. Dark circles hang under my eyes and my skin is sickly pale, there is no colour in my cheeks at all and my hair is like a birds nest.