Prologue

Summary: Zero left the Academy after killing Rido Kuran. However he didn't just left, he disappeared in thin air. It was like he never exist. Hunter Association searched for him and two years later he came back brings a news that will cause change to everyone.

Disclaimer: Vampire Knight and its characters do not belong to me. They belongs to their inspired creator Matsuri Hino. This I also don't own or I am associated with the songs and the artist mentioned.

***

In this day and age, line between day and night was blurred and supernatural creatures have worked their way into the society. In a way, it was natural outcome. The humans prided themselves on the culture they had built up, and claimed that they were the ultimate rulers of the world. But they would be forced to see the error of their ways. No one noticed when the supernatural creatures started showing up. They couldn't have noticed. No one knew they had started to mix in.

The vampires...

They were the actual rulers of the world. The vampires laugh at and look down upon the foolish humans, and prey on them.

Vampires are the supernatural creatures of the earth. As in traditional folklore, they are sensitive to the sun and are active during the night; however, in reality, sunlight only hurts their eyes and does not actually cause them any physical damage.

When killed, vampires will turn into sand. However Purebloods are an exception, as when they die, they instead shatter into shards of glass. The most effective way to kill any vampire is to cut off their head or stab their heart using an anti-vampire weapon. These pasts' years, 'Blood Tablets' had been developed to take the place of actual blood feeding, despite having a bad taste. Vampires also have a blood-lust that can only be quenched by the blood of their beloved.

Vampires have existed for well over 10,000 years, first appearing when mankind's civilizations began to crumble. At one point, they waged a war against humans, during which Purebloods began turning humans into vampires. When the number of vampires began to increase, a monarchy was established to rule the vampire race, with the Kurans' as the royal family.

However, two generations ago in current times, the former king and head of the Kuran family (Rido, Haruka and Juri's father) abolished the monarchy in order to avoid authoritarianism. The Senate was established to govern the vampire realm, with high-ranking vampire aristocrats in the seats. Despite their demoted status, however, the Kuran family still holds the title as the highest standing family, and it is well known that there are many vampire families who would support Kaname Kuran if he chose to take back the kingship.

There are 5 types of vampires, ranked according to the purity of their blood. The more diluted by human blood, the lower their ranking is.

Level A is the Purebloods; the rarest, most elite, and most powerful class, whose blood lines have never mixed with any humans. They are the monarchy of the vampire race, meaning that they are very powerful and demonstrate many abilities such as being the only vampires able to turn humans into their own kind. However, these former human vampires are not powerful and will eventually lose their sanity and falling into Level E.

Purebloods have no trace of human ancestry and so are considered to be the rulers of all other vampires.

There are only 6 families of Purebloods left; The Kuran Family, The Shirabuki Family, The Hanadagi Family, The Shoto Family, The Ori Family and The Toma Family. The reason for this is not definite, but it can be assumed it is due to the killing of Purebloods and their servants during the war between vampires and the vampire hunters, led by Kaname Kuran over 10,000 years before the start of the story.