one

Jay Halstead smiled at his phone as he entered the building known as the Chicago Police Department

Jay Halstead smiled at his phone as he entered the building known as the Chicago Police Department. He was in a good mood this morning. Over the last few weeks, he and an old friend, Jennifer Wilson, had been catching up over social media. Today they were finally going to meet up in person after many years of not seeing each other. The two were best friends when they were younger but had grown apart as they got older. Jay became distant during his time in the military. They would still chat here and there, but not as often as they used to. Jennifer always held a special place in Jay's heart. Now that they were getting close again, those feelings he had tried so hard to repress were beginning to surface. Recently divorced and looking for a change, Jennifer Wilson was moving back to Chicago but Jay didn't know that last part yet. He was under the impression she was just in town visiting her sister, Lisa. Jessica was planning on surprising him with that news when they met up after work.

"Halstead!" Desk Sergeant Trudy Platt said, causing Jay to look up from the messages on his phone. He walked over to the front desk where Trudy stood. "Voight wants you in his office ASAP."

"Yes ma'am," Jay replied with a slight nod, sliding his phone into the front pocket of his jeans. He made his way over to the staircase that led to the Intelligence Unit's floor. Once he reached the gate at the bottom of the second set of stairs, he placed his palm atop the palm scanner and waited for the quiet beep before opening the gate and proceeding upstairs.

As he stepped foot into the bull pen, Jay spotted his coworker, Kim Burgess at her desk, her nose buried in some paper work from the night before. Her head shot up at the sound of footsteps. The two exchanged a smile. Kim went back to her paperwork and Jay continued towards his boss's office. He could hear voices as he approached.

Jay froze when he entered Hank Voight's office. His jaw was practically on the floor. To his surprise, there stood Jennifer Wilson talking with his boss, Hank Voight. He spotted a detective shield clipped onto the waistband of her pants. No fucking way.

"Holy shit... Jennifer?" Jay said. Upon hearing her name, Jennifer turned around.

"Jay? Holy shit indeed," Jennifer said, her eyes wide. A large grin spread across both of their faces while Voight just stood there, confused. "My God, you haven't changed a bit." Jay quickly pulled Jennifer into a tight hug. She closed her eyes and leaned her head against his shoulder, enjoying his embrace. It had been so long since they had physical contact. They had both missed it so much. For more than half of their lives they shared an intense bond and it felt great to have it back.

"I can't believe you're here right now," Jay spoke quietly in her ear. Goosebumps traveled down her spine. "What are you doing here?" Jay asked as they pulled away from their hug.

"Halstead, meet your new partner," Voight told him, sitting down, casually leaning back in his chair. Jay looked over at Voight, waiting for him to follow up his words with a 'just kidding'. When he didn't, Jay turned his attention to Jennifer, smiling from ear to ear. When he had gotten an text from Jennifer saying she was in town, this most certainly wasn't what he thought she meant.