Chapter 3: Breakfast

Start from the beginning

"Sophie, let's maybe not mention to anyone I spent the-" Fitz started. His teal eyes met Dex's periwinkle ones.

"...Hello,"  Fitz said. They just stared at each other awkwardly for a minute. Sophie quickly interrupted.

"Fitz I had invited Dex for breakfast yesterday" she explained. She turned to Dex, "And Dex, Fitz umm......Well he's here."  Fitz looked at the ground awkwardly, fidgeting his shoes.

"Let's eat,"she said aloud, handing each of the boys a bowl of food and going back into the kitchen to get herself some. Fitz and Dex quietly ate their food. Sophie walked in and sat in between the boys.

"We should eat quickly, Foxfire starts in five," she said awkwardly. They all sat in silence for a minute until she couldn't bear it any longer. "Nothing happened ok" She directed at Dex. Fitz's blushed, picking up his bowl. Dex didn't reply. After they finished, Sophie grabbed both of  their hands and leaped them to Foxfire. Fitz looked down and smiled when she touched his hand. They all avoided eye contact as the leaped, and went separate ways when they arrived. Fitz met up with Biana in elementalism.

"Where were you last night?" she questioned Him, "I didn't even notice you come back, you must of been out late!"

Keefe's familiar voice chimed in as he walked up. "He was at his girlfriends house, obviously!" He snickered punching Fitz. "Right Fitz?!" Fitz suddenly went stark trying not to give anything away. Biana and Keefe both noticed his expression. Just then the school bell range. Keefe made a questioning look and Biana opened your mouth to say something but was cut off when the teacher entered the room.

"Everyone take a seat!" She shouted.

Fitz took the opportunity and sat down abruptly, turning away from Keefe's curiosity and Biana's questions. After what seemed like an eternity, the class ended and Fitz tried to act cool. Biana flickered in and out of vision as she paced over to Fitz.

"Seriously though, where were you?" she questioned. Keefe looked Fitz up and down with a raised eyebrow and air of newfound respect.

"Its nothing guys, I just fell asleep in the study," he lied.

"You could've just said that!" Biana replied as she hurried to lunch looking annoyed Fitz had made it seem like something interesting. Keefe still stood there, "Dude, why did you lie to her?"

Fitz sighed and rolled his eyes, Empaths.

"Im not going to judge you or anything, but...who?"  Keefe suggested quietly.

Fitz's blushed. "honestly nothing like 'that' happen."

"Ok man, if you don't want to talk about it..." Keefe continued.

Sophie caught Fitz's eye as she walked by. She smiled and walked up to the boys.
"Hey guys!" She said. "I was just going to give you this," she said holding up the book from earlier that Fitz hadn't retrieved. "You left it when you helped me study last night," she explained. 

Keefe looked at both of them slowly. "Hey invite me next time," he joked. The three of them headed to the lunch tables and met Dex and a beautiful as ever looking Biana. Dex looked at Sophie avoiding eye contact with Fitz.

"Wanna come over after school Sophie?" Dex asked.

"I would love to, Dex but I have to go to Vacker's."

Dex groaned.

"To see Alden," she added. "Maybe tomorrow Dex?" 

"Yeah" he replied dryly. The bell rang and she transmitted to Fitz, "ready for telepathy?"

"Always,"  he transmitted back with what she thought was a blush on his cheeks. They walked into the telepathy room. Sophie felt a little bit awkward all alone with Fitz as they waited for Tiergan. As she went to take a seat, she caught her cape on the leg of the chair and began to topple backwards.  Fitz reached out to her and she grabbed his hand. However, she pulled a little harder than she expected and sent Fitz toppling over landing right on top of her.

"You just can't keep your hands off me can you?" He said. Sophie felt his breath on her face as he spoke.  He lay directly on top of her. Fitz smiled and Sophie could tell he enjoyed this position a lot. His eyes looked even more vibrant than normal. He leaned in closer as they stared into each other. Her heart beat so quickly, that she thought Fitz might hear it.  Just then the door swung open and Tiergan walked in his eyes having to make a double take.

"Am I interrupting anything?" he said looking down at the pile of prodigy on the floor.

Fitz quickly got off of her and brushed off his shirt smiling boyishly. Sophie thought he might start cracking up. She brushed her hair back into place and stared at Fitz motioning for him to do the talking.

"Sorry," he finally said out loud after he composed himself. "She tripped and-"

"You don't have to make excuses," Tiergan said studying Sophie as if he disapproved. "Well I was going to have you complete another trust exercise," he said avoiding eye contact, "but it seems like you guys have been working on your... relationship?" he asked like a question.

"We're just friends" Fits spoke up. Tiergan nodded.  "With benefits" he transmitted to Sophie. She looked up at him with a scowl.