4 - restless nights

Start from the beginning

mayhaps he got about an hour , but it was restless — to much going on in his head to the point where he decides to sit through it

too much of his demise Arthur grew rather impatient with this . what started out as reading turned to skimming then just looking at the pictures , before he knew it , all Arthur was doing was looking at the titles which was no help at all .

with a heavy sigh the King slipped out of the hall of records but he didn't head back for his chambers . he use the light from the torches on the wall to head for Gaius's chambers seeking out Merlin .

Arthur knew he'd be disrupting his manservants sleep but to makeup for it he'd simply go easy on him the next day .

with that thought settled he very slowly crept into the physicians chambers on quiet feet of a knight who learned loud feet meant certain death and quickly headed up for the door he knew was Merlins, giving it a gentle nudge to open as he whispered inside .

"Merlin ? "

knees were tugged to  of tugged his chest , blue hues shifted up && out through the small crack in his window , keeping to himself as he trailed into thought , yet his head snapped as he heard something moving around —

a frown falling to his face , questioning if it was giaus - yet it hit him as he hears his name , falling less tense ,, perhaps odd , but he knew why -

" . . arthur ? what on earth are you doing - " he mutters under his breath .

once he gained a confirmation of Merlins status , he simply slipped inside and shut the door behind him keeping an appropriate distance even as he approached the bed .

" coming to you . . obviously what does it look like I'm doing ? " He made sure to keep quiet less he wish to wake giaus but Arthur's words couldn't go unheard . " did I wake you ? "

the raven haired boy just blinks , brows stitching together as he shifted && rests his arms at his knees " . . no ,, but you up this late is concerning me - " he mumbles , eyeing his features once more " . . so what's troubling you ? "

" and you being up this late is normal ? " he retorted back with a small sigh , settling for sitting at the end of Merlins uncomfortably stiff bed .

" whats always been the source of my troubles should I be unable to sleep at night . thinking ."

thankfully he came to Merlin because he seemed to know more about this than others did , and partially because he was the one who was with him when he died .

he just shrugs his shoulders with a small smile in response , watching as he sat down && dropped his knees - crossing his legs instead , " i spouse we've all been there . . i cant either - but . . why'd you come to me ? " if anything he was confused ,, he'd admit that he didn't mind it ,, if anything he needed the company - it was just a tad odd .

" because you're the only one who seems to have even the smallest clue as to what the hell I am doing back here . " his voice had of raised slightly before remembering his place and it was dropped quickly , refusing to look at him now as he spoke again but softer this time , thankful for the darkness . " and . . you were the one who was by my side when I died . "

" hey - " himself somewhat snapped out of his tired state by the others tone && reaches forward , setting a hand to his arm gently , trying to be reassuring " i made you a promise . . remember ? " he whispers " . . id be by your side til the day i die . . i wish i knew more — theres still things i dont even . . know how to put into words - "