The boy nudged Charlie with his elbow and said, "You try." 

     She rolled her eyes before trying to slide the plate with a push of her finger. She pursed her lips, trying to hide how impressed she was. She cut her eyes at him as he smirked and lifted the plate gently onto its side, balancing it on his finger. 

     "See."

     "Aw, shit," Marlene commented. "This is a game changer."

     "Wait," Charlie commented. "Is that going to hurt her hair?"

     "I want to try it," Maya insisted, bouncing excitedly on the balls of her feet. "I'd rather test it now, rather than later." 

     Sirius gave her a nod of understanding. "Tap whatever you want to stick twice with you wand and say very clearly 'Lingnium tantum.'"

     Maya moved to point her wand at the piece of cloth on her head. "Uh," Remus interjected. "You want to try that on something else first."

     "I'm a Ravenclaw," she replied with a grin. "I can handle it." 

     "Was that an insult? That felt like an insult?" Remus demanded playfully. Maya giggled.

      The small girl closed her eyes and pressed her wand to her hijab. She tapped twice and with considerable concentration said, "Lingnium tantum."

      She opened her eyes to see eight pairs of eyes on her. Nothing felt different. 

     "How do you want to test this?" James asked with a soft smile. 

     Her big, brown eyes shone with hope as she turned to the girl who had become her best friend in mere months. "Rubertta," she said carefully. "I trust you."

     Charlie's cousin's eyes widened before she nodded slightly. She hesitantly reached her hand to give the hijab the slightest push, careful so that if it didn't work it wouldn't reveal her friend's hair. But, it didn't move. Rubertta pushed with a little more force, and it did nothing. 

     Maya and Rubertta smiled at each other. Maya reached up and pushed slightly, and she felt the smallest give. 

     "It worked!" Maya declared, throwing her arms around Sirius. 

     "Oh, uh," Sirius mumbled, patting the child softly on her back. "I'm glad."

     Maya pulled back, her cheeks becoming rosy. "Berta," she said. "Pull harder so we know if it hurts."

      Her friend's eyebrows came together. "Are you sure?" She asked doubtfully. 

      Maya nodded. Rubertta reached up and gave a hearty tug while chanting, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

      "Eh," Maya shrugged. "Kinda uncomfortable, but I can handle it."

      Sirius hid a smile as he sipped from his coffee cup. He tried and failed to push the pride that was swelling in his chest down. Nobody deserved to be ridiculed, especially a tiny, eleven-year old girl. He would be damned if he didn't teach someone how to protect themselves. 

     "I'm offended," Peter announced suddenly. 

     James arched an eyebrow at him. "We're just not gonna get mad at him for not teaching us that spell sooner?"

     Remus let out a loud laugh. "Fair point." 

     Sirius shrugged. Charlie blinked before turning her attention back to the two Ravenclaws. "I still want names."