Docile Prey is Less Likely to be Chewed

"Asshole," Harper huffed, kicking the nearest stomach wall.

Ulrik merely chuckled, but it quickly died down into a croak in his throat.

"You're normally more chatty. What's wrong, big guy?" she asked, patting the wall behind her.

"It's nothin', lass. Ye dun' have t'pretend anymore. I'm na' gonna hurt ye." He stifled a smile, even if she couldn't see it.

"What?"

"I didn't mean t'intrude, but I read yer lil journal. It fell out of yer bag, and I got curious."

The journal was a collection of tips and experiences when it came to giants. All of it centralized on one idea: surviving. Most of it was merely how to avoid giants and remain undetected, but what to do if caught was near the end. It mainly consisted on bantering with a light hint of flirting. The journal said to "act like you've been friends with the giant for your whole life." The rest of the end consisted of safety tips. Leaping out of a giant's jaws will result in a long fall. Struggling in the throat will cause it to tightly and painfully constrict around you. The one that fucked him up the most said "docile prey is less likely to be chewed."

He could never figured out why the feisty woman would struggle and fight during the whole process except for when she was in his mouth. She'd sit still as a rock as he stole her taste. But now he knew that the woman he considered a good friend feared that he would grind her into a pulp just for wiggling a hair.

"That's private!" she hissed.

It wasn't all that private. She used it to teach the kids and teens of her hidden, underground community how to stay safe. But that still didn't mean she wanted everyone to read it.

"I know. I'm sorry, lass." he muttered, "I just want ye t'know that I'm never gonna hurt ye, so ye dun' have t'pretend to befriend me or feel scared. I promise I'll cack ye up soon enough."

There was silence for a good while.

"Did you consider me as a friend?" she asked. She spoke so softly that he wasn't completely sure he heard her correctly.

"Err...sort of. We have a strange relationship, but I enjoyed yer visits. Though I guess I probably enjoyed our visits because I wasn't the one bein' smacked on. But, ye know, since ye kept comin' back...even if it was just t'steal food...I figured ye might've considered me a friend, so I started considering ye one too." he admitted.

Harper first met Ulrik after trying to steal food for her underground community. She'd pulled her original tricks off then after being eaten, and he'd decided to let her go. He even gave her more food than she planned to steal. If it worked the first time, she figured she might as well try it a second time instead of going to a new giant who the tricks may not work on. After the second time turned out just like the first time, she kept on coming back whenever her community needed food. Sometimes she'd come when the community didn't need food. She always told herself it was to gather extra food, but she knew why she couldn't stay away for too long.

"I never disliked our visits," she murmured.

"Thanks, but dun' worry about it, lass. I get it. If I was in your position, then I'd do the same thing too." he reassured.

"No, you wouldn't have, and that's why I hate myself right now. Even if we changed positions, you still would've considered me a friend." She rubbed at one of his stomach walls. "I never considered us friends because I just couldn't see the possibility. You're a giant; I'm a human. That makes us naturally born enemies. I've always had trouble looking past that, but I still enjoyed hanging out with you."

"Lass, it's fine...honestly." he insisted.

"But it's not fine. You've always been a great friend, but I was just leading you on for food and safety. If you can forgive me, then I don't want to lead you on anymore. I want to be friends."

"Really?" he asked hopefully, "Ye're na' just saying this because ye're worried I'm gonna hurt ye, right?"

"No. I trust you. I've trusted you for awhile now to be honest." She smiled. "Surprisingly enough, I don't usually go frolicking into any giant's home, making myself an open and vulnerable piece of giant food in exchange for regular food."