Chapter 9

Keith's pov

I looked in the mirror one last time and sighed as I grabbed my phone and walked downstairs.

I had just gotten my shoes on when I got a text from James saying he was at my house. I yelled a quick goodbye to Shiro and Adam before walking out to meet James. I got into the front seat and we drove off.

"So Keith, tell me a bit more about yourself."

I chuckled nervously. "Well, there's not that much to tell. Shiro and Adam basically raised Acxa and I after our dad died in a car crash and my mom abandoned us shortly after that."

There was a moment of silence.

"Oh shit, right, Acxa is my twin sister, and Shiro's my older brother. Adam is his boyfriend, they've been together for about 3 years, but they've been friends for ages."

He nodded. "Got it. I'm sorry about your dad...and your mom leaving."

I shrugged. "It's alright. My mom wasn't really ever around anyways. She was always at work. And my dad, he was a fireman so we pretty much understood there was always a chance he might not come home."

"I mean, it's still a bit different. He didn't die while he was on the job."

"True, but it was always a risk of him not coming home. It still helps to think of all the people he helped."

We got out of the car and we walked into the cafe. We sat down after getting our drinks. I sighed after a few moments of awkward silence.

"Listen, I'm going to be honest, I've never actually been on a date, and I'm not exactly sure how this is supposed to go."

He chuckled. "Really? I would have thought you've gone on at least one date. I mean, you seem so cool, I figured everyone would want to go out with you. I mean it would a lot of sense, you're really cute."

I blushed. "Thanks."

He smiled, flashing perfect white teeth.

"So anyways, tell me a bit more about yourself Keith."

I thought for a second.

"Well, the only really close friend I have is Romelle. Well, the one that I know in real life anyways."

He raised an eyebrow in a quizzical manner. "I met this guy on Instagram a few months ago and we became pretty close. His name is Lance and he's from California."

I explained, taking a sip of my coffee. He nodded. "Have you guys met in real life?"

I shook my head. "Sadly no. But maybe sometime over the summer we'll be able to."

"I hope you guys do."

I smiled. "Thanks. So, what about you? Tell me some more about yourself. I mean, I already know that you're the captain of the football team, and basically the most popular guy in our grade, but I wanna know more."

I said, resting my head on my hands.

"Well, I love space. I want to be an astro-explorer someday. Not many people know, but I'm a huge nerd when it comes to space. Ask me anything and I could probably answer it."

"Huh, y'know I never would have pegged you as a space nerd. You give off the vibe of a high school jerk who wants to be a pro sports player or something. But y'know, you're not that bad." I said.

He laughed. "You're not too bad yourself, Mr. I'm Going To Sit In The Back And Not Talk To Anyone Because I'm Keith And I'm So Emo."

I laughed. He noticed I had finished my drink, and stood up to throw away our trash.

"C'mon. No sense staying here if we're already finished with our drinks."

He grabbed my hand and dragged me outside to his car. We got in and he turned on the radio.

I was slightly taken aback when Trouble by Sleeping With Sirens started to play.

"Do you actually like Sleeping With Sirens, or are you just playing this song because you think I like this kind of music?" I asked, buckling my seatbelt as he started pulling out of the parking lot.

"Shit...I'm so busted." He said laughing.

"So busted." I said with a smirk.

He turned off the radio and we sat in a comfortable silence for a few moments.

"Where are we going anyways?"

He smirked. "You'll see."

We pulled into the parking lot of an apartment building. Once we had both gotten out of the car, he grabbed my hand and dragged me to the roof.

The sun was starting to set, and was casting many hues of orange, pink, and purple across the sky. He pulled me to the roof of the building. He sat down, his legs dangling off the edge.

"C'mon Keith." He said, patting the ground next to him.

I shook my head. "No way. I'm not about to die trying to watch the sunset."

He chuckled and stood up. "Fine, you don't have to put your legs over the edge, but at least sit close to the edge."

I shook my head once more. "Sorry. We're like at least 10 stories up. And...I'm kind of scared of heights..."

He awed softly. "If you tell anyone I swear to god I'll maim you."

He grabbed my hand and softly pulled me down on the floor next to him.

"Don't worry. I won't let you fall to your death."

I sighed and finally sat down next to him. He wrapped his arm around my waist, and pulled me closer to him. I was breathing heavily due to being so close to the edge.

"Hey, it's ok. I'm not going to let you go, and I'm not going to let you fall, ok?"

I smiled slightly. "Alright."

I closed my eyes and counted to ten. I finally calmed myself down and opened my eyes. I looked at the sunset and gasped softly.

"It's so beautiful." I said, taking in the scene.

I rested my head on James' shoulder as we watched the sunset over the busy city. About half an hour after the sun had set, I yawned, and James sighed.

"I guess we should be heading back."

I nodded. "I guess so."

James stood up and offered me a hand up.

"I had a lot of fun." I said as we walked hand in hand back to his car.

"So did I."

He opened the door for me and I got into his car.

"Maybe we can do this again sometime?"

He nodded. "I'd really like that."

Once we got to my house, he walked me to the front door. We stood on the porch, the only light coming from the lamp on the porch, and from Adam and Shiro's window.

"Hey, you wanna go see a movie? Maybe...Tuesday after school?"

"I'd love to." I said, kissing his cheek

A blush made itself evident on his cheeks, and I hurried inside after waving a quick goodbye.

I rushed to the window and peeked through the curtains. I watched as he stood dumbfounded on the porch for a few seconds, hand hovering over his cheek. He then shook his head, smiled to himself, and made his way towards his car.

He drove off, and I collapsed onto the couch, thinking about how I was finally getting over my impossible crush on Lance. A relationship with Lance would never work anyways. We live on opposite sides of the country.

James, however, was perfect. He was kind, and funny, and lived in the same city as me. It was a relationship that could work.

I giggled giddily as I texted Lance to update him on how everything went.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>