Part 32

Coming back home, Shashank walked into Anjali who was flipping tv channels .. "Dad.. where have you been.. what took you so long ..." she asked
"I was on rounds when you left, Anjali.... and had to review a case which is scheduled for surgery day after hence I got delayed.." he lied
"Dad, I'm hungry.. Please freshen up and come down soon...." she said
As much as he wanted to skip dinner and lock himself alone in the room, he didn't have the mind to refuse his daughter.. "ok beta.." he said and walked to his room..

A while later he walked down freshened up... Anjali served dinner for both.. After a brief pause she asked... "Did you hear from Dr Juhi..."
Shashank nodded his head in negation...
There was silence again..
The recurrence of his ' Big Bang' was eating him up... Clearing his throat he spoke... "Anjali I think it's high time you settle down.. Are you seeing someone by any chance..."
"Dad... what do you mean it's high time... and no I'm not seeing anyone .."
"Anjali .. listen, I'm not keeping quiet this time.. I want to see you settled before I ....." he paused
"Before you.. what dad.. what are you saying .."
"Nothing Anjali.. I want you settled and that's it.." saying this he stood up from his chair and walked to his room shutting the door behind ..
Anjali sat there confused with his weird behaviour..

Shashank walked to his balcony.. he needed fresh air.. Looking at the cloudy sky , he wondered ... How funny life is .. Just when he thought he figured it out, just when he finally began to plan something , got excited about it and felt like he knew which direction he was heading towards... the paths changed.. the signs changed... the wind blew the other way.. north is suddenly south and east is suddenly west.. and he was lost...
He felt so vulnerable right now  that all he wanted to do was hug Juhi and cry his heart out.. he needed a hug.. he needed her.. Looking up at the sky.. he asked
" Why me ,God... why me..??" A lone tear drop rolled down his eyes..

Juhi was restless the whole day.. Despite trying to keep her self busy she knew her heart , mind and soul wasn't with her.. She was feeling unusually low that night... Her heart and mind was at war if she should call him or not... But shrugging her thoughts aside she decided that she needs to clear her mind first before she can call him.. She wanted clarity... Walking to her balcony she looked up at the dark blue sky.. "I miss you Dr Shashank... I miss you so much .." she whispered

The next day being Saturday was a busy day at the hospital for Shashank .. He was engaged with consultations.. Even in between his consultations, his eyes always went to his phone lying on the table.. hoping she would call him or send him a text.. He missed her very much....

Juhi woke up with an unusually heavy heart.. the slight thought of 'them' made tears roll down her cheeks which would have blushed thinking about them... Tired of such a debilitating feeling, she kept her hand on her heart and whispered.. "it's gonna be okay...
She was clear in her head as to which direction she wants to head.. She decided to talk to Rahul and sort things out soon... Maybe sometime today... she thought

Rahul's voice brought her out of her thoughts...
"Juhi .. there is a charity event organised by our company tonight .. It would be nice if you could also be a part of it.. It is for a noble cause.. so would you come ...." he asked
"I'm not sure Rahul... but I'll let you know in awhile.." she said
Further she added... "Rahul there is something important I want to talk with you.."
"Juhi .. can we please do it tonight after the event.. I'm already running late for a meeting now... if that's ok with you.." he said
"That's fine, Rahul..." she replied
"And I'll wait to hear from you .." he said and walked out of the room..

Juhi sat confused if she should attend the event with Rahul... after much contemplation she decided to attend the event since it was organised for a noble cause .. she dropped a text to Rahul saying she would attend the event... Rahul was elated seeing her text..
"Thank you.." he replied

That evening , Shashank had another stint of dizziness... Thankfully he was alone in his cabin.. He felt as though his was head exploding... He gulped down a few tabs to ease the pain temporarily and rested his head back on the chair...
He sat there wondering how he became selfish from being selfless...
He always loved Juhi unconditionally.. but never expected anything in return from her.. That was selfless love..
But suddenly everything changed in a short span of time.. after feeling her, touching her, knowing her even more intimately, he never wants to let her go.. has his love turned selfish ???
It's not right ... he sighed
Should i inform Juhi about the recurrence??
She wouldn't stay quiet.. she would schedule the surgery at the earliest for sure.. he smiled faintly
But I do not want to subject her to that kind of enormous stress like the last time... she was completely shaken ... I can't see her like that.. I have already caused her enough pain so much so she doesn't even want to talk to me or see me... And I don't want her to make any decision out of pity...
She deserves to be happy...
With that he made up his mind that the news about his sickness would remain locked up inside his heart...

That evening after reaching back home first, Shashank felt extremely lonely and miserable... Although being an hardcore optimist, this time he was shaken.. he sat in darkness without switching on the lights .. Anjali who walked in later was surprised to see him sitting in darkness..
"Dad.. why are you sitting in darkness.."
switching on the lights she looked it him for response but he just sat there with his head down..
She walked towards him .. He was extremely emotional.. he knew he would cry.. he stood up to walk away so that Anjali doesn't question him further...
Anjali held him by his hand and made him face her.. He looked miserable..
"Dad ..." she called out
Overcome with emotions he whispered
"I need a hug, Anjali ... please"
She leapt forward and hugged him tight.. Unable to hold himself back anymore Shashank broke down crying hugging her... She was stunned but she let him do so.... She had never seen her dad so miserable.. not even after her mother's death.. "The Dr Shashank" shattered this way... something is gravely wrong she thought
"Dad... it's okay... get hold of yourself
I'm there with you... okay.." she consoled
But he had no control over his emotions this time.. he continued to cry like a baby hugging his daughter...
After what felt like ages he composed himself and broke the hug..." I'm sorry beta .." he said and walked to his room shutting the door behind him..
Anjali decided not to probe him any further  now.. he needed his space... she thought
"I must talk to Dr Juhi .. I can't see my dad suffer like this," she thought
Picking up her phone , she dialled Juhi's number .. the phone kept ringing on the other end but there was no answer ...
She dialled again but again there was no answer..
Dejected she decided to wait for Juhi to return her call..

Juhi had accompanied Rahul to the charity event... Since her phone was on silent mode, she missed Anjali's call...
Rahul was very happy since this was the first time they were going out for an event as a couple... He made sure he never left her side.. Media were present .. Lots of pictures were clicked.. The event was a great success..
Juhi was satisfied that she had contributed a small part in making the noble event successful... The drive back was silent.. Juhi was wondering if she should talk to Rahul .. but decided against it since he was driving...
Immediately after reaching home, Rahul had to rush back to the hospital to stay beside Pooja.. so she again missed the opportunity to talk to him...

It was a gloomy Sunday morning... Shashank woke up with a different attitude this morning... He was almost clear in the direction he was heading towards... Waiting for his breakfast he picked up the newspaper..
Something caught his eyes on page 3 of The Times of India.. It was a picture of Juhi standing beside Rahul and a few celebrities... He scrolled down immediately to read the news beneath the picture... So Juhi was attending a charity event organised by Rahul's company... he thought
She looked happy... She had a pretty smile on her face.. Running his fingers over her pic ... he smiled faintly.. His decision became even more firm seeing the picture ..
"I have to let you go Juhi... Looks like Destiny has different plans.. Maybe we were never meant to be together... it burns my heart to let you go.. but then I have to remind myself that love is about letting go ...." he sighed

Back in Mumbai, Juhi woke up early , waiting for Rahul to get back from the hospital... She needed to sort things out at the earliest...
Cause she was going to ask him for something which will bring back life in her...
She was going to ask Rahul for a 'DIVORCE' ...