Chapter 2 - Syrup und Sachertorte

CHAPTER TWO
Syrup und Sachertorte

.

"And this one is made with the very best dark Swiss chocolate, blended with vanilla and the slightest hint of chili, then melded to perfection within my own trademark cinnamon-spiced choux pastry."

Matthew's eyes closed just briefly as he tasted the next bite-sized delicacy from the tray laid before him. The lovely accountant sat on a tall stool opposite Francis at the counter, his tie undone and his briefcase forgotten beside him. Francis could only smile in delight, almost letting a small sigh escape his lips. He could watch Matthew taste his delectable creations all day. At this stage, he was intending to do just that. For almost a week now Matthew had been coming to his patisserie every morning, brightening Francis' day just as it began, giving him something to look forward to every night. Francis had asked Matthew about his work at first, but it quickly became obvious that the accountant did not wish to speak of it. So instead they spoke of their homes, of music and art, of food and sport and travel. And the more Francis found out, the more he realised he wanted to know. Of course, he was ridiculously attracted to Matthew. How could he not be – he was gorgeous, and his hair was fabulous. But Francis also wanted to talk to him, hear how he was, hear how he thought... he did not just want to sleep with him. He wanted to do that too, of course, so badly it was painful. Which really made him wonder why he hadn't even broached the subject yet. After all, it had been a week - anyone else and Francis would have slept with them and forgotten them by now. It struck Francis that this was the longest relationship he had ever been in, and it was not even a relationship.

It was now Friday afternoon and to Francis' utter joy, Matthew had stopped in on his way home from work. The smell of baking bread wafted from the kitchen, the voice of the divine Miss Piaf flowed from the speakers, and the golden afternoon seemed to stretch on forever. A few customers came and went, but Francis' entire focus was on the charming young man before him.

"Oh," said Matthew after swallowing the chocolate pastry. He laughed softly, shaking his head in amazement. "How do you do this, Francis? Just when I think I have tasted the most delicious thing ever created, you present me with something better!"

Francis knew he was the best pastry chef to ever come out of Paris, but hearing these compliments from Matthew somehow meant more than the thousands he had received before. He shrugged modestly and gave Matthew a tiny, teasing smile. "My dear, it is now my goal in life to keep surprising you."

Matthew smirked, gazing up through lowered lashes. "A goal I believe you will have no trouble accomplishing."

Francis felt his heart thump a few swift, heavy beats in his chest. He was never quite certain if Matthew meant to be seductive when he spoke like that, when he looked at him like that; but the mystery just made him even more appealing. Francis hadn't had this much fun flirting in years. "I am flattered by your faith in me."

"Well honestly, Francis," Matthew continued, sitting straighter and brushing the sugar lightly from his hands. "You're a magician!"

Francis placed a hand to his chest and gave a tiny bow. "And you are too charmingly kind."

"What I really want to know is how you are not the size of a house!" Matthew looked down at himself critically. "One week visiting your patisserie and I am certain I have gained ten pounds."

Francis scoffed. The man could sell gym memberships. Wide shoulders, narrow waist, slender with what looked like the perfect amount of muscle beneath that suit... Francis let his eyes wander. "Nonsense, you are flawless. And it is all about moderation, no? Besides, I like a man with a little... softness to him."