"I see a figure of a Damark maid holding a jar, pouring out the water for the thirsty birds."

"You're thinking of the Guardians."

"Yes, for Fiach and his people. But the small birds will benefit, too."

"That sounds perfect." He placed a kiss on her temple. "I gave Isamu a horse today."

"Did you?" She looked up at him inquisitively. "Certainly he is deserving, but I assume there was a compelling reason?"

"There was—or rather is. He needs to properly honor the woman he wants to wed."

"Isamu wants to marry?" Her expression shifted swiftly from confusion to excitement. "Oh, Raven!" She grabbed his arm. "Is it Chenoa?"

"It is." Sandor utterly enjoyed the pure happiness in his wife's expression. "Do you think she'll agree?"

"Yes, of course." Anaya shook her head at him. "She likes him very much and he is a good man, like his Chief."

"I told him that they could bring Wyanet, if she wants to come."

"Oh, Oh!" Anaya hopped with excitement. "I hope she comes. I have missed them so."

"I know." He put and arm around her shoulders and gave her a gentle squeeze. "I thought that since we won't be there for their Damark wedding, we could have an Enniskillen reception for them when they come back."

"Oh yes," Anaya agreed with a beaming smile. "That would be so wonderful."

By the end of the day, Isamu was on his way to Damark, leading a fine yearling filly who was laden with food, two bolts of brightly colored cloth and a box with four new daggers that he had purchased at the smithy. He went by way of pass at Tiegh Thar and the first hunting party he met on the plains told him where to find the wolf clan.

So it was that he rode into the camp just past sunrise. There was some surprise when he was recognized, since it was nowhere near the full moon. After a discreet inquiry he found Tikalis at his tent jerking meat for the winter.

"Sir?" Isamu waited till the man turned to him. "I come to offer for your daughter, Chenoa."

"Chenoa?" Tikalis looked surprised. "Would you not rather Dyani?"

"No," said Isamu firmly. "I want the Dove, not the Deer."

"But Dyani is young, healthy and accomplished in a wife's duties ..."

"As is Chenoa, no thanks to you," said Wyanet as she walked up to them. She had seen Isamu ride in and had hoped that this was his mission. "You have no say in this, husband of my daughter. He has come for Chenoa and you turned her over to my care many seasons ago. It is I who will decide." She touched Isamu's chest with her fingertips. "I am her guardian, young man. What do you offer?" In truth, considering his offer was merely for form, as she had every intention of accepting.

"As I value her," replied Isamu earnestly, "I offer this fine filly of the War Raven's stock, four good Enniskillen daggers, fine cotton cloth, flour, salt, potatoes and carrots."

"Come. We will talk," said Wyanet with a smile. It was a fine offer, as good as any Chenoa's sisters had gotten. She didn't even glance at her glowering son-in-law. "Chenoa will come home soon."

"I have a good living with Raven, and a fine dwelling," said Isamu as they walked off toward Wyanet's tent.

"I'm not concerned over your ability to take care of Chenoa," said Wyanet. It was all she could do not to dance instead of walking. This young man was eminently suitable for her grand-daughter. "My only concern is that you will treat her properly."

"I would never mistreat her, I swear." Isamu looked distressed that the old woman would even think such a thing. "She is a treasure, and she deserves warmth and care. Chenoa will be my only wife and I will cherish her, as my master does his woman."