CHAPTER SIX

Two days later, the King's Battalion—two hundred strong—came within sight of The Council Grove. In the lead rode Kenet and Sandor, with Mukuta between them. The Enniskillen horses were caparisoned and armored as well as their riders. Directly behind the leaders were the four Damark scouts, Isamu, Okena, Chato and Sinasta.

The King's Battalion were the elite warriors of Enniskillen, the best of the best. All were superb riders, fighters and archers. They had come from all over Enniskillen, recommended by their overlords for their exemplary service and skill. If they left the King's service, they were in high demand for bodyguards or Captains of the Guard for the King's allies, like Weston of Farlathi. Others became commanders of their own troops, like the Battle Hawk of Eatheon.

While they were watchful, as always, there had been no sign of unease or fear in the assembly during their ride across the plains. The Damark Chief's son rode between their King and his Duke and no treachery from that quarter was expected. Still, they kept watch, as there was the possibility of an attack launched for revenge, or in opposition to their mission of peace.

In the center of the group were the supply wagons. After some serious discussion and the giving of solemn promises to obey the horse-master, Niti and Diti had been allowed to ride in Carne's wagon. As they traveled, they sat on the bench with Carne, peered out at the passing scenery or napped in the rear of the wagon.

When they grew close enough to see more than vague shapes, Kenet and Sandor could see the tents of the Damark clans gathered around the stand of trees that made up the grove, like butterflies around a flower bed. The pennants and sigils of the various chieftains flapped in the wind, the tallest being Mahan's wolf's head banner.

They knew when they had been noticed when a crowd of curious onlookers began to gather at the edges of the trees. Some of the more nimble climbed into the branches for a better view of the oncoming procession.

"Well, we're making an impression," murmured Kenet. "I wonder if it's a good impression or a bad one."

"Most of them have probably heard stories," said Sandor. "The reality must be strange to them. Damark have little metal craft, so our armor might seem an extravagance. Likely some style it as cowardice, as well."

"Only in warrior's boasting," Mukuta ventured to add. "Foolish talk to drive off fear. Most of our women and children have never been away from our plains, so your coming gives them a rare opportunity to see something never seen before."

"It's good that they aren't afraid to come out and look, anyway," said Kenet.

"I'm certain that there's some concern," said Mukuta, "but my Father's word is trusted by the clans."

Soon a group of men appeared at the edge of the grove, one carrying Mahan's wolf banner. They advance with a measured pace toward the approaching riders. As they drew closer, Sandor recognized the man carrying the banner as the messenger, Achyut. In the center of the group was a dignified fellow with a touch of gray in his hair and a distinct resemblance to their guide. This, then, must be Mahan, the Great Chief of the Northern clans.

When the two groups met, the Enniskillen troop stopped at Sandor's raised hand. He and Kenet dismounted, and removed their helms, hanging them on their saddles. Then they stepped forward to stand before the Damark.

"I welcome the Great Chief of Enniskillen and his War Raven," said Mahan in Nandarin.

"I greet Mahan, Chief of the Wolf Clan and Great Chief of the Northern clans along with all the Council," replied Kenet in Damark. "Your son has brought me your words and I agree that there should be no more killing. I come to reason together with all who wish to seek peace."