CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

Isamu was restless. As each full moon neared, he was off to the plains with a letter from the Duchess to her best friend. He usually stayed overnight at least once before returning and his time was spent with Wyanet and Chenoa. He escorted the maiden on her errands and greatly enjoyed her company.

Back in Enniskillen Chenoa was often on his mind. With each passing day he found himself thinking more and more of her quiet wisdom, gentle spirit and beautiful smile. Every time he thought of her he longed for her presence. It wasn't long before he realized that he wanted her for his wife.

He was comfortably placed, but not wealthy. All the same, he had his cottage, his employment and money set aside. Yes, he could support her, but how could he convince her father that he was worthy of her in proper Damark fashion? Perhaps his Duke would allow him to buy one of his horses. The next time Sandor came to the stables, Isamu waited until the others had gone their way.

"Sir," he said quietly, "I'm in a dilemma."

"What's amiss?" asked Sandor, his expression concerned.

"It's about Anaya's friend—the one I take her messages to," Isamu said gravely. "Chenoa is a fine woman and I wish to offer for her ..." He hung his head. "... but I don't have the goods to properly honor her. Would it be possible for me to buy a horse?"

"I wouldn't object to selling a horse to you." Sandor hid his delight at Isamu's confession. He knew that Anaya had long hoped that Chenoa would find a good man to love her. On top of that, having Chenoa living here would ease his wife's loneliness and brighten her days. "But as it happens, I gift my people when they are to wed. If it's a horse you want, you may choose any of the yearlings you've gentled for this term as your first gift."

"A yearling would be perfect." Isamu was astonished. "But I can pay for it, sir."

"It's a gift." Sandor laid a hand on the younger man's shoulder. "You've been loyal and capable in all you've done for me. You helped me to suitably honor my chosen wife, and I'm pleased to help you to honor yours. Take your choice of the horses and take two bolts of good cotton cloth as well." Now the Duke smiled. "And you're relieved of your duties for as long as you need to make your arrangements."

"Thank you," said Isamu, earnestly. "I'll work hard and never fail you."

"I know," said Ranfurly simply. "Oh, and Isamu—You may bring Wyanet as well, if she wishes to come with her grand-daughter. We can enlarge your cottage, she may have one of her own, or live in her tent if she prefers."

"Oh, yes, Raven," said the Damark, his face alight with joy. "I will ask. It's good of you to offer."

"I trust she'll accept you. You're a good man."

Sandor was smiling broadly as he watched the scout hurry away. Assuming the young lady accepted—he had little doubt that she would—Anaya was going to be thrilled. Not only would her friend gain a good husband, but she would live at Ranfurly. He made his way to the manor and a short consultation with Maddex revealed that his wife was in the garden.

Anaya was dressed in red today, a shade that made her skin seem to glow and highlighted her dark hair. Sandor made a mental note to give Clara a bonus. The seamstress had not only helped Anaya come up with a style that perfectly suited her, but Clara was very good at getting the precise shades to compliment his Duchess' coloring.

Anaya was deeply absorbed in considering something—she didn't seem to realize she was no longer alone. Sandor decided to do to her what she so often did to him. He kept his movements a silent as possible, so she didn't know he was there. Coming up from behind, he slipped an arm around her waist and kissed her neck. To his surprise she turned, wrapping her arms around him in return, and pulling his head down to kiss him thoroughly.

"You're early," she said when they separated.

"I am. What were you thinking so hard about?"

"The spring." She gestured to the artesian spring that bubbled up in the small pond in the center of the garden. "Would it be possible to catch the flow and direct it up through a pillar, to spill out the top, running down to a basin for the birds to bathe or drink from?" She waved a hand at the pond. "And could we line the bottom of the pond with stone and separate the overflow to run out into cisterns by the flower beds? Gardener isn't getting any younger. Hauling buckets from the spring to the flower beds is hard work."

"The cisterns can be done," said Sandor with a smile. "And it's an excellent idea. We can set lids and pumps over the cisterns and maybe even set some channels so he can just pump the water and it will run where it needs to be. I think your fountain can be done as well. I'll send for Ossian and put it to him."