chapter four

They had been walking for a long while now, this entire time the young girl had been carried in the being's large hand quite easily. After it seemed for many, many hours they finally came to a stop before a small cottage, with a small, rugged dirt path leading from it into the thick trees.

The creature gently set her down, letting her slide off his hand and land gently on the dirt path with a faint cloud sprouting from her landing.

The creature gave a faint hum before turning to look at her with its featureless face and speaking for only a few moments.

"If you ever need anything, child, follow this path. Only if you need help. If you hear anyone come to this cottage, you hide. You must wait here a few days until we can get things settled for your trial run. You will be tested if you are fit to live with us. If you get into any trouble, just murmur the incantation Msaada, msaada. Ninatishiwa. Ninamwita mtu wa Woods wa haijulikani, anisaidie na kuniokoa. Ninamwita mtu mpole. Acha kuniokoa na hatari hii. Understood?"

Aadhira only nodded as she absorbed the information.

"I would also see fit you get to know us. I am Slender Man, and these young boys are my proxies. They are Masky, Hoodie, and Toby. They will protect you one at a time when they have the time."

Aadhira merely nodded and blinked, before the three boys walked with her inside as the being suddenly was gone from their perspective. The door of the old cottage creaks open and the man known as Masky leads the way.

They show her silently around the tiny cottage, how to use the stove, and a bit more. After teaching her the basics of the modern-day world, they dip their heads respectfully and leave.

Aadhira finally felt at peace when she could sense the presence of the Council, and when she turned she saw them gathered patiently.

"Aadhira, it's almost time for your first lesson on what it's like to be our own kind." Saanvi whispered as the other council members made sure that all of the humans or 'proxies' as the being called them were gone.