~17~ England Pt.1: Undercover redcoat

Start from the beginning

My features twist in disgust, the knots in my stomach giving me the feeling of illness I couldn't shake off. "Certainly...you wouldn't." I breathe - most of my frantic mind regretting the decisions that led me to this point.
His new range of emotions were an unwanted addition to his many layers - an opposition to the in-control gentleman I had met back in town.
"H-his majesty wouldn't-"

"Try me. I'm sure you'll find out."

I could feel the core of my bones beginning to shake under the male's composed strength and undiscovered emotions - his held together laugh slicing at my soul, mocking me like the words he practically hissed in firm command - and it wasn't any question to know that he knew how to play his cards.

"Honestly, who were you even going to give it to? Someone in town? Feel lucky I haven't told his majesty about this little stunt already." He breathes and his hands move up to my shoulders, kneading them slowly and my chest falls.

I was uncertain of how to play my own cards - but I much preferred to keep quiet, watching as Warner straightens back to his tall posture, seeming to collect himself with a steady exhale.

"If you do behave, keep in line tonight, I might just keep this little conversation between us, make certain this note of yours finds its proper place in the fire."
As he spoke, his hands made neat work of folding the letter - tucking it in his vest pocket and I swallow back the needles lining my throat.

"...you wouldn't tell his majesty?" My voice was bordering on a more hoarse range, and the male offers an almost mocking smile as he places a hand on my shoulder once more.

"I'm only looking out for the well-being of my king, and future queen. It's natural for me to want to keep foresight of all possible outcomes she may be...naive enough to think of or try. And if I need to resort to more tight-leashed, or frightening methods in order to keep her from doing something reckless in the view of her subjects. Then so be it. It's for your own good."

I felt a spark of anger dissipate at his tone, vanishing faster than it came and with a gentle hand he pulls me closer to him - leading me to the door and I felt numb with fading fear.

"Now, practice your smile if you must- do what you feel is necessary to calm yourself for later tonight and remember to behave." He explains. "His majesty will be wanting to speak with you on a similar subject." His hand pats my shoulder, his chuckle more lighthearted — as if he hadnt just scared my soul to meer death moments prior. "I hear Marion has been busy making you a small something. She's quite talented when it comes to sewing."

°
°
°

~~~ Time skip ~~~

°
°
°

The sky was like fire — dark, crimson oranges, bright yellows fading to lighter hues of itself where sharp, deep blues looked over the sunset.

I found the horizon a pleasent distraction from the memory of the day - as I was still a bit shaken up from Warner's surprise mood swing earlier - but I had forced myself to block out his words as I stood leaned over with my arms resting on the railing where my attention was held with the many flickering lights of the distant country.

I had to admit, the sight, although frightening with new lands and unseen possibilities, was indeed somewhat lovely in the view of an ending day —

I shake away my thoughts.

I wasn't going to allow the tall male to sway my choices, to stop me from trying, however, I would admit that his words had sunk in.
My lips force a small smile - my nerves having convinced myself of a loophole within the general's logic.