"Have either of you ever killed another Avati?" My eyes shifting from one to the other. Leif shook his head no.

   Ezra's looked from Leif to me. He nodded once, "One."

   Instinct told me that was as far as Ezra was going to go in explanations for the day. "So, what now?" I asked.

   "You should start to learn to fight," Leif quickly answered. "It might help against any mortals who attack you."

   "But it won't..." Ezra began

   "Protect me against an Avati. I know."

   Ezra walked to me and wrapped an arm around my waist, pulling me toward him. "But it may help you borrow some time. You're not worried, are you? I got you into this. I'd do anything in my power to keep you safe."

   Leif took the glaudius and placed it back on the wall. "I'd love to see someone try to get past you." We smiled at each other until Leif groaned.

   "I think I'll head home now," he mumbled, heading for the door. Ezra shrugged, and we followed him outside.

   Leif slid into the driver's seat of his car. "Combat lessons. This should be fun. I've learned a few new tricks since we last sparred, Old Man."

   Ezra chuckled like a little boy.

   "You know, it's not just about strength, Brother."

   "How strong are you?" I asked Ezra.

   He reached over and pushed with his right hand against the door of Leif's car. A large dent sank beneath his palm. I gasped. Leif's jaw flew open. He leaned out the window and gaped at the deep impression in the door.

   "You... I..."

   Ezra cocked an eyebrow in Leif's direction. "Next time, knock."

   Weeks turned into months as we settled into a rhythm of research and defense lessons— we, the three immortals of Portland.

   Leif had me standing on a steep hill in an attempt to get me accustomed to uneven terrain. My job was to try to grab his arm as it swung toward me while stepping forward on the ball of my left foot. Then I had to connect the shin of my right leg to the back of his calf striking his Achilles tendon in an attempt to sweep him off his feet. I was able to make contact so far, but I'd been unable to get close to knocking him over. I was never athletic, and the short bursts of strength was a new, unaccustomed feeling.

   Ezra stood a few feet behind me, watching with both intensity and amusement. Fortunately, he didn't try to jump in with helpful comments every time I made a failed kick, as men so often like to do. This was difficult enough.

   Leif swept his arm through the air and down toward my neck. I grabbed his arm and swept hard with my right foot. My shin connected with the back of his calf and swept his foot off the ground several inches but he steadied quickly and didn't fall. Damn.

   Leif grinned at me, "Better." I suppressed the urge to grumble.

   I stepped back a few inches and before blocking his arm as it flew at me again. I shifted my weight to the ball of my left foot and swung with my right. Leif suddenly swiveled clockwise away from me. My foot met with air where his leg had been less than a second before. I twisted and landed hard on my foot unbalanced. The steep hill worked against me as my leg slipped on the loose dirt and I pitched backwards. I flung my arms out as I tried to catch myself.

   Leif's hands flew out to catch me, grabbing me inches before I hit the ground.

    The sharp stench of vinegar followed almost a putrid rank smell. I turned and blinked as I saw what looked like clumps of sawdust scattered along the floor. Next to me on a small table was a bowl of vinegar with a small lump of something soaking in it... a small sponge or rag. I heard someone make a rough gulping sound and I turned in its direction. Leif was on his back on some kind of a small platform. I hesitate to describe it as a bed, but clearly, that's what it was intended to be. A thin filthy blanket covered his body, and his blond hair was dark with sweat. Deep purple festering blisters marred his usually smooth skin.