Chapter 2

Xena had a hard time finding her class. You wouldn't believe how hard it was to find the class of Mrs. Johnson when you don't talk. Xena walked inside, aware of the blank stare Mrs. Johnson had.

"Hello, you're new. Introduce yourself to the class." Mrs. Johnson spoke without tone. Xena frowned and walked to the blackboard, picking up chalk. "What are you doing?" Her voice was annoyed, now.

   Xena began writing on the board. 'My name is Xena. I don't talk. The end.' Xena set her chalk down and sat in the only empty seat. This empty seat happened to be in front of the lanky boy from earlier.

"Well, well, we meet again, kitten. How are you doing?" The boy made Xena turn around.

   Xena frowned at the name, turning to pull out her notebook. The boy looked over her shoulder curiously as she began writing. She turned and handed him the notebook. 'My name isn't kitten. My name is Xena. What's your name?'. The boy looked up at her after reading.

"My name is Patrick, kitten. I'm calling you kitten, because you look like a kitten." Patrick smirked as Xena frowned. Xena grabbed her notebook, beginning to write again.

   As she wrote, Patrick twirled pieces of her hair around his long fingers. Xena turned quickly, getting her hair pulled a little bit in the process. Xena smirked, handing the notebook to Patrick. 'Then I'm going to refer to you as puppy. You look like a little puppy when you're trying to be mocking.' Xena smiled when he looked at her in confusion.

"I do not look like a puppy." Patrick frowned, tilting his head to the side. Xena raised an eyebrow nodding profusely.

"Ms. Dolland, Mr. Hockstetter would you two like to pay attention like the rest of the class?" Mrs. Johnson sneered at the two kids.

"No, I think we are enjoying our talk." Patrick smirked as Xena gasped and widened her eyes. Xena nudged him on the arm, shaking her head quickly.

"Are you sure you speak for the both of you, Patrick?" Mrs. Johnson nodded towards Xena, who was staring at Patrick harshly.

"Oh, yeah. I believe I do." Patrick's smirk widened as Xena shoved him back. "Xena entirely agrees with me, Mrs. Johnson."

"Well, in that case, I'm sure she'd agree to stay after school in detention with you and whatever other delinquents act up today. Wouldn't she just agree with that?" Mrs. Johnson sneered before turning back to the board.

   Xena glared at Patrick, trying to seem intimidating. Patrick laughed lightly at her, poking the end of her nose with his finger. Xena huffed, turning around and ignoring him. Patrick soon grew annoyed and bored. When class was over, Xena stayed behind to try to make amends with Mrs. Johnson.

"Yes, Ms. Dolland?" Mrs. Johnson awaited a conversation, looking up from the papers on her desk.

   Xena handed her a note pleading to not get detention. Mrs. Johnson read it over before looking up at the girl with a sincere look. Mrs. Johnson took off her reading glasses and set them down on her desk, folding her hands over them.

"Xena, dear, you don't have to go to detention. However, I would advise you to not spend much time with Mr. Hockstetter. He tends to invite trouble into whatever room he's in. You seem like a sweet girl. You wouldn't want to make friends with the wrong kinds of people, would you, dear?" The woman smiled slightly, motioning for Xena to leave. "Now, go on, dear."

   Xena scurried out of the class, unaware of the lanky boy following her. Xena went to her locker, putting her new textbook inside. Her locker was pushed shut, just barely missing her hand.

"So, kitten, you didn't want to spend the afternoon in detention with me?" Patrick sounded genuinely insulted.

   Xena shook her head, grabbing up her notebook and scribbling down a response. 'I just don't want detention on my record. It has nothing to do with you on that end, puppy.' Xena chewed her lip as Patrick read through it, pleading in her head that he wouldn't be upset.