Chapter 11

Xena went on with walking with her friends. There was no need to address the boys she once would've been a loyal friend to as well. She looked straight ahead, not giving them even the slightest blink. She felt Richie's hand grab her arm tightly, seeing him looking in Patrick's direction.

  Patrick was different since Xena. Yes, he was always the crazy fire freak kid, but he was still somehow even moreso. He was had been setting people's hair on fire, stealing anything left in his sight, beating any small boy he came across, and even more. The other boys had never felt that much fear of him, even having known him as long as they could remember.

"God I hate how he looks at me. He's such a creep," Richie shuddered, blowing out air and turning to look at his friends, " . . . No offense, Xee"

"None taken, Bitchy" Xena smiled. As much as she had originally hated using curse words, she could only go so long before succumbing to the temptation of them. Besides, being the only one that didn't use them made her feel like a child, and she didn't like feeling like a child.

  Xena found it easy to tune out of conversations, choosing to stare into space. It was then she remembered her new friend Ben would be walking home from school, and she wanted to walk him.

"I'll meet you guys down at the drain pipes later. I've got to walk Ben home. Love you all" Xena ran to the other side of the school, watching as Beverly walked away in the distance, Ben left behind blushing.

"How'd your flirting go?"

   Ben jumped, turning quickly to the her. He put a hand to his heart dramatically, almost dropping his Derry-based diorama and Walkman.

"Jesus Christ, Xena. It didn't. There's no way I can flirt with her"

"I think you could. You're just a bit too scared to. That's alright. Romance is terrifying, especially at our age."

"Yeah, I guess so. I just wish I had a way to tell her" Ben looked like a broken puppy

"What about an anonymous love letter or something?" Xena tilted her head.

"I could do that" Ben began mumbling under his breath, plotting.

"Alright, Benny boy. Let's get you home." Xena began walking.

"I actually wanted to go to the library." He grinned nervously.

"Then let's go, nerd ass." Xena chuckled slightly, walking away with Ben leading the duo.

"I think I liked you better when you didn't curse, fucker" Ben shook his head.

"Y'know, I think I did, too." Xena smiled, walking away with him.

   Xena didn't really like the library. Sure, she liked reading and loved learning new things. However, she hated the smell of old people and hundred year old books. Ben, on the other hand, loved the library. The smell wasn't great, but he got to nerd out under the protection of the librarian and the history books he liked to hide behind.

  While Ben read through books for what felt like hours, occasionally chatting with Xena or the librarian, Xena wandered around looking for something she might be interested in reading. There were plenty of options, but she simply couldn't find anything of interest. She walked over to Ben, signaling she was going to go ask to look in the back, receiving a nod of acknowledgement.

   Xena was led to the back by the librarian and looked through shelves and shelves of books, finding nothing of interest. Finally, she saw it. A red leather bound book covered in dust with the same symbol that was on her neck stamped on the spine.

"May I check out this one?" Xena felt strange. She'd never seen her mark on anything other than herself to have that mark.

"Well, of course, I'll write you up a slip for it. You think you can have it back within a month?" The librarian picked up the book, dusting it off as she led Xena back to the front.