Chapter 17 - Recovery

Start from the beginning

"Let's not worry about the pack anymore," I suggested. "I'll look out for you, and you can look out for me. Just two unwanted rogues against the world. It'll be fun."

I heard Jude let out a slight chuckle before he straightened up and pulled away from me, wiping at his eyes with a small smile.

"Sounds like a deal," he said softly.

I gave him a smile before taking a slight step back from him.

"Come on," I said as I started walking towards the house. "We have to go talk to Brian."

"Why?" he asked as he walked beside me.

"He wants us to start working for the pack. Any job you're interested in?"

He thought about if for a moment, nibbling on his bottom lip as he did. It was kind of adorable, to be honest.

"Do we have a garden?" he finally asked shyly.

"Like a kitchen garden? Yeah, I'm pretty sure Brian mentioned we had one. You can ask him directly when we find him."

He nodded in agreement and we both fell back into silence, although this time, it was a comfortable one.

We walk inside like that, looking for Brian. After a bit of wandering about the main floor, I picked up on his scent and led us toward him. We found him in the family room, slouched slightly on the couch with messy hair and tired eyes. Even his clothes were slightly rumpled. Despite that, he seemed engrossed in the weird human game show that was playing on the TV.

The wide smiles and chirpy voices of the hosts and contestants really grated on my nerves. Not to mention how overdressed the female hostess was - why she was wearing practically a ball gown just to touch a large board was beyond me.

"Brian," I said, calling his attention from the TV.

The wolf's head snapped around to look at me as he suddenly sat up straight, a slight blush appearing on his face at the realization that he was caught.

It seemed as though this were a guilty pleasure of his, as game shows obviously weren't manly. Or he really liked the perky blond hostess with the equally perky breasts who was currently revealing all the 'A's on the board with a plastic smile and dead eyes.

Either option seemed equally possible.

Brian flipped off the television and turned his body to face us more, clearing his throat slightly as he did.

"You two talked?" he asked gruffly.

"Nah, we just stared at each other for a half hour before deciding to come see you," I said dryly, slightly surprising myself.

Brian's face twisted in a slight scowl. "You don't have to be an ass."

"You don't have to ask idiotic questions, then." Jesus, where is all this sass coming from? I could see out of the corner of my eye that Jude was looking at me as though I had grown a second head. Or as though I should start writing my will right about now.

Again, equally likely possibilities.

However, Brian just shook his head and pushed himself off the couch before stretching out. His shirt raised up slightly as he did, showing off a sliver of his abs that sent a tingle through my stomach and ultimately made me frown at myself.

Seriously? Have you already forgotten what happened the last time you started to feel for someone?

"Jude," he suddenly said, looking directly at the young wolf, "have you decided where you want to work?"