Chapter 8 - Information

After walking for fifteen minutes in our human forms, Jude and I agreed on running the rest of the way back in our wolf forms. It was getting colder and Jude would get hypothermia if he walked the rest of the way back in only my jacket. So we stripped our clothes off, folded them up, and shifted into our animal forms. Jude picked up the jacket in his mouth while I pick up the rest of my clothes in my own before setting off. We decided to settle our pace at a jog, following the group's scent back to the pack house. 

At our even pace, it didn't take long for us to break through the trees into the large yard. We went back into the cover of the trees to shift and I handed Jude my boxers this time along with letting him wear my jacket again. I knew how it felt to be around a pack as a wolf. You felt so incredibly closed in and on edge, as if someone would attack you at any moment. Being naked and vulnerable certainly wouldn't help to ease those feelings. 

Luckily, the rest of the pack seemed to have retired to their homes ages ago. The sky was at its darkest yet, indicating that dawn was about to break. I realized in that moment just how exhausted I was, but I pushed myself through the patio doors and up the stairs into the Alpha's office.

I peeked my head through the doorway. Only Brian, Alpha John, and Alex were in the room, and they all seemed tired as well. Alex was sitting on one of the loveseats, his head in his hands, his elbows on his knees. Alpha John was sitting behind his desk, massaging his temples, while Brian paced in front of him, his hands in his pockets.

Once we entered, I plopped down on the open loveseat, my fatigue beginning to consume me. Jude hesitated before sitting down beside me. All three heads popped up when we entered the room and watched Jude and me for a silent moment. 

Just when I was about to doze off, Brian spoke. "Well? What can you tell us?" he said with a glare pointed towards Jude. 

I barely held myself back from snarling at him, knowing that it wasn't too late to still be kicked out of my new pack.

Jude began to wring his hands nervously, staring down at the carpeting as he did so. Brian seemed to have lost all of his patience because he slammed his hands on the back of the loveseat on either side of Jude's head. He snarled at Jude, their face mere inches away from each other. Jude's entire presence was oozing fear with his wide eyes and trembling limbs.

"Tell me, rogue. Or I'll force it out of you."

I quickly stood up and attempted to push Brian off of him. "Move!" I yelled. "Let him go!"

Brian simply ignored me and growled at Jude, causing a whimper to fall out of the pup's mouth.

"Brian," the Alpha said, his voice commanding. "Leave him alone. You can catch more bees with honey than vinegar."

Brian stayed where he was for a few more seconds before yanking away from Jude and going back to his pacing. I sat down next the Jude and gave him some soothing words, taking his hand in mine, treating him like a child who is afraid of the dark. 

After a few moments, Jude had calmed down significantly and looked up at Alpha John, who gave him a small smile. 

"Now, you said your name was Jude, right?" he asked in a calming tone.

Jude gave him a nod, biting his lip.

Alpha John smiled softly. "There we go. Alright, Jude, can you tell us what you know about the rogues in this area?"

Jude glanced at me and I nodded, encouraging him to continue. He turned his eyes back to his knees and took a deep breath before telling his story.

"I became a rogue about two months ago. After a week of being alone, about five other rogues ambushed me. They circled around me in a clearing, preventing me from escape. One of them told me that if I did what they said, they would feed me, clothe me, and teach me some of the tricks that rogues learned over the years. If I didn't listen, they said they would... t-they would torture and kill me."