prologue

A/N hey so the prologue is kind of long since you get to learn all about their friendship, you can skip it if you really want but you might get confused at some parts without reading it. Anyways, enjoy the story, sorry about this long ass prologue ahah.

——

"Class, this is our new student, Newton Issacs."

Thomas looks up from his textbook, ignoring how he's gotten almost nothing done. At the front of the classroom stands the principle and a short, fluffy, blonde haired boy. The boy, Newton, smiles uneasily at everyone.

"I prefer to be called Newt." He says, adjusting his grip on his black backpack, his eyes darting nervously across the room.

Thomas watches silently from his seat, his 12 year old self eager to jump up and introduce himself. He stops himself before he does, though, figuring it would be better to introduce himself when the boy isn't being introduced to a class full of rowdy pre-teens.

"Well Newton, Newt, you can go and sit down. I believe there's an empty seat next to Thomas. He's the young man sitting in the back by the window over there. Thomas, would you mind waving your hand?"

Newt watched curiously as a boy with messy brown hair and wide brown eyes waved his hand, smiling at newt. Newt grabbed the straps of his backpack tightly, rocking back on his heels in an attempt to calm himself, because of course he'd be sitting next to the cutest boy he'd ever seen. The boy, Thomas, as the teacher had called him, immediately started talking the moment newt got near him.

"Hey my names Thomas, although I'm pretty sure you already know that. I guess I'll be sitting next to you for a little while. I hope you don't mind. It's been forever since someone new has come to this school and I'm honestly super excited. I know I haven't talked to you or anything but you seem really nice and I'm kind of hoping we can become friends. Believe it or not I actually don't have many friends and-," newt laughed.

"Wait why are you laughing. Is it because I said I don't have many friends because it's honestly not very nice to lau-," newt laughed some more, he couldn't help himself.

"I'm sorry, really I am, and I'm not making fun of you I promise. It's just, you didn't breathe for like a whole 3 minutes as you rambled, not that I mind. I- I guess what I'm trying to say is you're more friendly than I expected."

Thomas was shocked. Was he making a friend? As far as Thomas was concerned he only had two friends, Minho and Teresa, both of whom are in a different class. He'd only known Minho and Teresa for as long as he could remember. He'd never really thought about how friendless he was until he was talking to newt. Making a new friend sounded pretty nice to Thomas, especially someone like newt, who seemed like an angel to the scruffy brown haired boy.

"Wait, are you saying you like me? Like I'm not repulsing you at the very sight of me?"

Newt felt his cheeks heat up at the boys use of words, you like me? Newt liked him, yes, but he couldn't help but feel like he liked the boy more than he thought. Trying to focus on other things newt pushed the thought aside.

"I believe I do. Are you saying you're not repulsed by me?" Newt asked, slightly mocking Thomas' voice.

Thomas was giddy at this point, his eyes sparkling, a laugh escaping his lips without trying.

"I don't know, am I?" Thomas asked, pretending to be flung backwards in his chair.

"Oh no! I guess I do repulse you! It's fine, I'll stay in my chair where my repulsiveness can't touch you."

Newt crossed his arms and rolled his eyes, but he was laughing, causing Thomas to laugh too. Huge smiles stuck to both of their faces.

"Thomas, newt, quiet down, the class is trying to work."