"That's okay, I get what you're asking," Lexi replied with a giggle. "What do you wanna know?"

"Everything."

Lexi's grin disappeared into a stunned expression. "Uh...okay. I don't think I'm interesting, but maybe you'll disagree."

"I guess we'll see. So, do you have any siblings?"

"Nope, I'm an only child. My parents have such demanding jobs that I don't think they would've been able to juggle more kids. My dad's a trauma surgeon, and my mom's a criminal prosecutor."

"Jesus Christ, they sound like powerful people."

"Yeah, but they're the best. They can be a bit pushy, but they've never been horrible to me. I can honestly say that they're great parents."

Isaac smiled. "You must miss them a lot, then."

"Yeah, I do. Being so far away from them can be a little scary at times. But I also know that if I were to suddenly call them with a problem, they'd drop everything to help me. Knowing that gives me some peace of mind."

"I feel the same way," Isaac admitted. "Are they happy that you're attending NYU?"

"Uh...yes and no," Lexi confessed. "They're happy that I'm attending university; but they're not happy with my major, Literature and Creative Writing. It's not that they had a certain career path chosen for me— they believe that it's unrealistic. But I've wanted to be an author ever since I was 10 years old. My parents hoped that I'd changed my mind and think of a getting 'real job'."

"Because it's hard to become an author."

"Exactly. But I've been determined to achieve my dream since day one, and I refuse to let anyone or anything get in my way. They're supportive, but I think they're scared of me failing. They don't want me to fail, so they're worried about 'What If'. I'm glad to be here in New York City because I don't have to deal with their worrying constantly."

"You really do sound like a hard worker," Isaac pointed out. "If you're that determined to become an author, you'll make it. I think you'll succeed because you want to so damn bad. You know what— I support you. Does that help even a little?"

Lexi's smile turned warm. "That's so sweet of you to say. Thank you, Isaac. It really means a lot to me."

"You deserve it, Lexi. It takes a hell of a lot of guts to become an author, so the fact that you're doing it despite your parents not fully supporting you is...it's cool, but also brave as hell."

"Thank you. What you wanna do is great, too."

"Yeah, but it's not as exciting."

"Hey, you said it— not me."

Isaac laughed before glancing down at his phone. His smile vanished in a matter of seconds.

"Shit, my next class is in half an hour. I'm sorry, but I gotta go now," he explained.

"That's alright," Lexi replied. "Have fun!"

"Ha! Yeah, thanks. I'll see you soon."

"Sounds good. Bye!"

After Isaac gathered his belongings and left, Lexi still found herself smiling. Her talk with Isaac had left her in too good a mood to make it go away. She didn't get back to work immediately; instead, she decided to text Nikita about what had happened. She needed to share it with someone, and her roommate was the perfect person.

Lexi: Hey, what's up?

Nikita: At home watching TV. You?

Lexi: Just ran into Isaac at the library. We had a nice chat 'cause he wanted to learn more about me. I don't know why I'm telling you this...guess I had to get it off my chest. Sorry if I'm bothering you.

Nikita: LMAO you're not bothering me. What'd you talk about?

Lexi: Basic shit— family, my dream job, school. Nothing crazy, but Isaac was super sweet and supportive when I told him about wanting to be an author.

Nikita: You like him.

Lexi: I do NOT like him.

Nikita: Sure. I thought you said he was super sweet?

Lexi: Can't I say that without implying that I like him?

Nikita: Yeah, you can. I'm just fucking with you.

Lexi: LOL thanks, Nikita.

Nikita: Anytime (;

Lexi: I like talking to him, but we'd never make a good couple. We're too different. He's loud, I'm quiet. He has a serious major, mine's a creative one. There's more, but I can't think of them now.

Nikita: I think you two could make it work. But if you don't like him like that, don't date him.

Lexi: Don't worry, I won't date him.

Nikita: LOL you're funny. Are you still at the library?

Lexi: Yeah, I gotta finish my study notes for my mid-terms. I should get back to that now. I'll be home in about an hour.

Nikita: No worries. Have fun!

With that, Lexi finally resumed her study notes with a newfound grin on her face.