"Then why not stay at home?"

"It was burnt down a long time ago. I don't come here enough to justify rebuilding it," he explains, draining the drink the man from earlier had paid for. I eye the white foam it leaves behind at the bottom of his glass, wondering how far I would have gone to impress this man.

"Why are you here then, Hunter?" I ask, letting my own curiosity guide me. Maybe this will be the last time we cross paths, before he moves on to the next town. Any fear, any ire has reduced down to a gentle hum, to match the dull chatter of the men not far from us. Safe, for now. In this bar, it's unlikely Marek has any intentions other than a discussion.

He shrugs, shoulders loose. "Nostalgia, I suppose."

"Well, I'm here to preach. So I better get going," I tell him, remembering my duty. Marek watches with keen eyes, as I slide my book across the bar, tucking it safely into my coat.

"Wait," he cuts in, reaching for my wrist. The grip makes me flinch. Noticing my discomfort, he pulls away. "Preach to me."

I'm shocked into silence for a fleeting moment. No one has ever expressed interest in hearing about my Tani, and I especially didn't think anyone here would want to listen to a Jade Province girl. Yet Marek regards me with cool interest, prompting me continue my talk.

"You're interested in Tani? Do you have one?" I ask softly. It's not an unusual question, but I'm curious. If the rumour Jessa expressed is right, then I know exactly what he thinks of Tani.

"I'm interested in you," he breathes. I blink, once, twice, before I clear my throat. He shakes his head, looking down at his hands which spin his empty glass around distractedly. "To be complete honest, I've been hunting one down to kill for a very long time. Hence the affectionate term people have chosen for me."

Hunter. I swallow, that uncomfortable feeling fluttering over to me now. Shamefully, I fell for all the gossip, even if some of it was in fact true.

"Predator?"

"To most people. It's the Snow Demon" he says warily, expecting a more dramatic reaction from me, but admittedly, I know little about the Snow Demon, other than it is native to the Azure Province.  "Tell me about your Tani."

"The Beast. We hear him a lot at night, which was always important to me for whenever I had doubt; it reaffirmed my belief," I find myself, diverting away from the script my little green book suggests, which is still pressed against my ribcage. I'm unsure of what Marek actually wants to know, but I doubt it's about Plantation day and the prays we need.

"Powerful?"

"Very. At least that's what the history tells us. He has magic, that gives us plentiful crops," I tell him. Even as I preach, I struggle to explain the joy those form my village get when our crops turn up healthy and wonderful each year. The celebrations that lingered long into the light, the dances under moonlight, the songs that would be sung.

It's sad to realise I won't be witnessing that this year.

"Have you ever thought of your Tani to be a predator?" Marek asks tentatively, anticipating my reaction. It's an honest, genuine question, but it does strike me right between my ribs, leaving me with a lasting ache.

"No, of course not. He provides us with all we need year round," I respond quickly.

Marek nods, the softest smile touching his lips. "Interesting. Thank you for explaining your belief to me. I know a lot of people can be sensitive about it, but you more than deserve to be heard."

A warmth fills me, fluttering up to touch my face with a smile. Marek is being kinder than I ever could have anticipated, willing to sit here and ask me genuine questions and appear interested. Not to mention, he saved me from embarrassment with the stranger, who could have done anything to me if no one interrupted.

I want to thank him more, but as I look at him, knowing that once he leaves, I will never see him again I decide it's time to leave, getting off the stool.

"Thank you for listening," I say honestly, before I tighten my coat around me. "Goodnight Marek."

He doesn't respond, as I walk out the door.

💜••💜

If you guys want to read ahead, you can read more of King's Possession on Radish! It's chapters ahead of Wattpad (:

👾••👾

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter, let me know what you think!!

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

Instagram: Sophie_Midika

~Midika 💜🐼

The King's Possession ✔️जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें