Episode 18: The Cultists of Aseria

Start from the beginning

"Oh-kay, that's enough out of that one. I'm getting awkward just listening to this," Sophitia pushed them apart with her feelers. "If hiding your identity is to do with your clothes, why don't you just take them off? Unlike Infia, you don't have anything to hide."

"Sophitia!" Lute said.

"Ah, that's- actually a good idea. But wait, Infia has something to hide?" Esther said. Sophitia's eyes widened.

"No, but there's no point in swapping clothes. Take yours off, stay or home, or deal with your fans yourself," Sophitia ordered.

"It is actually the mark on your tail that gives you away," Phoenix stated as he went through the ticket barrier. "Gondola leaves in two minutes. We need to move."

"My tail—" Esther twisted to look at it. "Oh yeah. I forgot I had that on there. Well shit."

Lute watched her grumble and march off, unable to help sneak a look himself. Her tail had the heart-shaped tip that all female Pikachu had, but for her, the tip also had a black mark on it. To him, the mark almost looked like the number five. It probably had something to do with her motif or something he didn't understand.

"Pokétopia is in the very centre of Aseria. It's the largest city in the world, and its inside a dome. It's like, the most urban place the world has," Esther explained. By now they had boarded the gondola and set off, and they were the only ones aboard the carriage. "You guys have all been to the Ministry of Science, right? If you've seen the kind of tech they have there, then you won't be surprised to see the dome."

"I've read about it. It's also the centre of energy circulation throughout the world, right? It's where all the gondolas go, and all the electricity the world uses is generated." Lute looked up to recall it. "Supposedly the city's always awake because it's visited year-round by Pokémon constantly. Pokémon switch between daytime and nocturnal workers. It's also expensive to visit, so Pokémon from Everend rarely go there, even though we have gondolas travelling directly to it."

"Ahaha, you do your research! You're so impressive, Lute," Esther praised with gleaming eyes. "I've played more shows there than I can count, all at the different venues and landmarks. While it's pretty flashy and I get to go all-out, it's impossible to sleep there. Sure there's hotels and stuff, but there's lots of light and stuff. Can we not stay there longer than we need to?"

"U-understandable. I'm not one for all the tech stuff, either," Sophitia whimpered. She was crouched by one of the handlebars and clutched it with both paws and feelers as if her life depended on it.

"It depends on what King's Shield want with us," Phoenix said.

"I er, was hoping I could sightsee a little when we were free. It'll be my first time there," Lute admitted.

"Oh, why didn't ya say so? Sure, I'll show you around, my treat." Esther winked at him. Infia tilted her head.

"That was a change of heart," Phoenix said.

"Do you want me to be enthusiastic or do you want me to be edgy? 'Cos you're bein' pretty fucking edgy right now, Fluffy Cheeks." She went half-lidded.

"If you are not a pop star, then you're not my boss anymore," he replied

"Oh. Sassy now, are we? Why don't you say to my face?" she stomped her way over to him. "Do go on. I couldn't hear you earlier."

"I do not understand your sentiment." He looked away.

"Exactly. Next time, don't forget your dog collar," she said, and tapped him on the nose.

Lute rolled his eyes and turned to the scenery. The gondola sped across a rail so high in the sky that much of the distant land was patterns of fields and mountain, while the sea below them looked like a clay model. He was used to this view from his trip to the Ministry of Science, but this time, he wasn't as happy to see it. The clouds above blanketed the sky as far as the eye could see, and every speck of them was exactly the same colour and tone of grey.