Chapter 16: Blue-Blooded

Start from the beginning

She gulped. What has gotten into him? Why bother to drop her off at the hospital when he didn't give a damn about what she did on a daily basis? Knowing it would be rude to decline, however, she joined him at the dining table and served herself breakfast.

"You will be meeting Dr. Divya Awasti at 10 a.m.," Arnav reminded, while she ate in silence. "To finish the paperwork. She will also explain your duties and assign your first shift."

Khushi nodded vaguely.

"If they ask why you left your internship before, you can say you had to deal with a family emergency."

Another nod. Much too soon, they were speeding through the morning rush hour to the other end of the city.

"Can I ask you something?" Khushi finally said, when they stopped at a red signal. She could no longer reign in her burning questions.

"Sure."

"Why did you go through all that trouble to make sure I finish my internship?"

Arnav kept his eyes trained on the road in front. "Would you rather I didn't?"

"That's not what I am asking. I am... grateful, very grateful, but I just don't... understand."

He stole a glance at her. "What would you like to hear?"

"Tell me what you want."

He seemed confused to hear that. "What?"

"Well, you clearly want something in return for this favour, no? I may not know much about business, but I know securing this position would not have been cheap. So, what are you expecting me to give you in return?"

"And what could you possibly give me?"

Khushi bit her lip. "Divorce? Isn't that what you want the most?"

Arnav stared at her with a strange expression covering his face. It was a while before he spoke again.

"Wow," he muttered. "All that brain and zero common sense."

Khushi pressed her lips, his sarcasm not helping the nervousness creeping through her. She had spent the entire night mulling over the possibilities, and the one that made the most sense was this. No one, not even her own father, would go to such extreme lengths to give her what she wanted the most in her life. So why did this one pesky man do it? What motive was there other than freedom from this namesake relationship?

"I can't divorce you Khushi," he said, shaking his head. "You know our families won't allow it."

She heaved a sigh of relief. "Then what is it?"

"Has no one ever done anything nice to you without expecting something in return?"

"No."

Again, Arnav stared at her, this time probably in confusion. "Why is it so hard for you to accept a favour, that was not much of a favour to begin with? All it took was one phone call. Your record is that good."

She didn't dare believe that. "Or your word is that meaningful."

The car came to a stop. They had arrived at the hospital, but Khushi refused to move. She couldn't start a new chapter in her life with the fear of him plotting a divorce hanging in the air. Her father would literally destroy her if that ever happened. And not mention Vihaan's future.

"You are a stubborn one, aren't you?" he muttered, exasperated. "I did nothing special, okay? My family has been donating to this hospital for years now. It costed me nothing to request them to consider your file."

"But why? Why go the extra mile... for me?"

Arnav sighed. "Because... you deserve it. Not everyone has the luxury of choosing what they want to do Khushi... especially people like you and me. Everything is decided for us... what to wear, what to study, what to be... even who to love. Everything is pre-decided because we had the misfortune to be born to legacies."

Khushi was mum, the truth of his words resonating deeply within her.

"Believe it or not, I know how it feels like, having to give up what you want the most for the sake of family responsibilities and loyalties. It's so unfair that you want to scream at everyone and everything, but in the end, you suck it up and do it anyway because that's what they have been teaching us to do all our lives..."

He took a deep breath. "I watched you that day with my mother... you were so confident, so sure of what you were doing. It was so obvious that you belonged in hospitals, treating patients. But when I asked Vihaan why you stopped practicing, his explanation was so silly. I know I haven't been exactly cordial with you Khushi... I know this marriage was forced for both of us, but that doesn't mean we have to suffer through it. Why not do something that can make at least living together bearable?"

She blinked, a strange new respect building for him.

"I didn't do a favour for you," he continued. "You don't owe me anything. In return, I owe you big time for saving my mom that day... if you weren't there-"

"Well Aunty is okay now," she interrupted, feeling the weight lift from her shoulders. "And this is still the biggest favour anyone has ever done for me, so thank you."

"My pleasure."

"And speaking of your mother, can you... can you not tell her about this?"

He sighed, looking as if he was expecting her question. "How long do you plan on running from yourself?"

"I... I am not running. I just... am not ready for the questions. I am sure they will be furious that I was hiding-"

"No, they won't. I know how to handle them Khushi. Our bargain remains intact, I handle my family and you handle yours."

She wished she could tell how unreasonable her family was. But seeing the resolve in his eyes, she knew that asking him to lie to his parents was out of question. They were going to know about her job and although they might not have a problem with it, they were sure going to let it slip to her father... one day.

And perhaps, she should just wait for that day, instead of seeking it out.

"You should get going," Arnav said. "You really are getting late now."

Khushi looked at the dashboard. She had ten minutes to report to Dr. Awasti. Bidding him goodbye, she was just about to get down, when he said:

"Wait."

She looked at him expectantly.

He simply held out his hand.

"What?" she asked, confused.

"Your mangalsutra."

Khushi didn't know if she should even be astonished by this point, but she was. How had he known about her predicament?

"Come on," he said when she didn't move. "I don't have all day."

Fingers trembling, she reached for the innocent black beaded chain around her neck, swiftly taking it off, and dropping it in his palm.

He smiled in response. "Good luck for your first day then... Dr. Gupta."

________________________________________

A/N: This is the chapter from which the title of the story comes from... Even though they have different personalities, their circumstances are somewhat similar, which is why their marriage has hope after all...

What would you like to see next in the chronicles of Arnav and Dr. Gupta?  😉

Please vote & comment!!