Chapter 12~Annie

As soon as the train stopped at the station, I was ushered into the chaos of the Capitol. I was brought to countless interviews and meetings with the Capitol's most prominent people. I smiled as people snapped my picture for endorsements for a wide range of products I never even heard of.

I never knew how to act, but everyone seemed content with me being there pretending to enjoy myself. In a way it was easier than being in the districts. Whatever I did, the Capitol people loved. I didn't have to deal with any animosity.

After a busy first day at the Capitol, I was told that I had the rest of the afternoon off, and I began searching for Finnick. I hadn't seen him a lot since we got off the train. I walk across the entire floor of the training center and even check the roof but see no sign of him. After looking in the dining room I come across Renee who was murmuring to herself.

"Hey Renee!" I call out. "Have you seen Finnick?"

She stops and points outside with a bony finger. "Oh yes honey he's on the front veranda right outside."

"Okay thanks," I say as I quickly enter the elevator.

When I go through the glass doors of the training center, I immediately see Finnick surrounded by a group of Capitol people. I can't fail to ignore the fact that most of them were girls. There was one girl in particular. She had perfectly straightened hair that went to the middle of her back. She was wearing a yellow asymmetrical tunic that highlighted her thin waist. The girl kept fluttering her unnaturally long eyelashes as she held on Finnick's arm and leaned in close.

I stand at the edge of the group not knowing if I should approach them or not. It seemed like Finnick was enjoying the attention, wearing his charming smile as always. He hasn't even noticed me and I've been standing here for a while. 

Occasionally the blonde girl would lean in close and whisper something in his ear and Finnick would laugh. He obviously doesn't have time for me, I think. I'm just turning away when I hear my name being called.

"Annie Cresta! This year's victor!"

I turn around to face the person who called out to me. It's one of the few men in the group around Finnick. He has spiky lime green hair and metallic eyeliner under his eyes. All I can think about when I look at his is that he resembles an overly happy alien. I smile pleasantly at him anyway. He doesn't have to know I'm a little creeped out.

"Weston," he introduces himself and shakes my hand.

"Pleasure to meet you," I say. I think I'm finally getting the hang of interacting with the Capitol people. Finnick would be proud if he even noticed me. I glance over at Finnick who seems engrossed with the story the girl is telling him in a squeaky voice. She sounds like a mouse.

Finally after fifteen minutes of me sitting with the group and chatting a bit with Weston, Finnick notices me.

"Annie what are you doing here?" he asks. He seems surprised that I'm actually here.

"I just needed some air and Weston here struck up a conversation," I tell him. I'm not going to admit that I was actually looking for him.

"Okay well did you want to do something later? There's this amazing rest--"

"So as I was saying," the blonde girl with the high voice interrupts. She leans closer to Finnick and keeps on talking. "She just thought she could come to the party with the same exact dress I was wearing! And she wouldn't back down! So of cou--"

"Trisha please I'm talking to someone right now," Finnick says with forced calmness. I resist the urge to roll my eyes. Stupid Capitol girls.

Trisha looks irked but stops talking nonetheless. "So about that restaurant? Do you want to go?"