Chapter 50: Dance The Night Away

Comincia dall'inizio

Ardwen and Chase each grabbed a side of Nami, nearly lifting her off the ground between them. She was wearing a puffy pink outfit of adorable bows and garnishes in an effort to exploit her naturally high levels of adorableness and she had tied her hair up with a pink-spotted bow as well with ribbons that hung down to her back.

Only Gretta was dressed low-key, wearing a very modest power blue dress she looked uncomfortable in. Obviously she was used to wearing the clothes of an engineer working on the Goliaths and she had even gained a reputation around the academy as a prodigy in the field. It was a blessing her and Nami had decided to dress different as the two would've looked almost identical had they not. Since they were the only two left, Gretta and Porter entered together into the world of the school dance.

Decorations hung from the rafters and were plastered across walls, revealed by the odd flashing of a coloured light flying by. Around the edges stood the single boys, holding on to a fruity drink or snack to make it look like they were busy as their eyes fervently scanned the crowd, looking and hoping for a girl to look back. The females had grouped up to party with their other feminine friends, locking any boys out through the intimidation of numbers. There were little spots otherwise where couples danced together in the semi-darkness, some in very tame fashions and others were a bit risqué with their dance moves, much to the chagrin of the four chaperons for the evening: Mr. Shotuku, Mr. Toriyama, Miss Sakura, and Rick Deckard.

Rick eyed Porter sceptically as he entered without Riya by his side. The Circuit Breaker looked out of place in his fancy suit and tie and constantly fiddled with them. He was so used to wearing the jumpsuit that anything else was foreign on his skin. Shotuku had gotten away with wearing one of his fancier robes for the evening but all students who knew about him made sure to stay clear; anyone who had seen what Shotuku could do knew there was a full set of slippers hiding in the folds of cloth.

Porter did what Porter did best at social events: grabbed a fruity beverage, found the nearest wall to look cool and disinterested against, and hope nobody would talk to him. He watched Raul and Emera dancing through the centre of the crowd, everyone getting out of the way of the new power couple. In another corner Chase and Ardwen were arguing over a cute Nami who was busy putting on her best "who me?" look.

Emera tossed back gorgeous tumbling locks and peered over Raul's shoulder at the petty fight. "Darling, what's with the loli fight?"

Raul spun to look at Ardwen and Chase, who were pulling hair and attempting to wreck the other person's outfit. "Yeah let's not talk about that Emera. Let's dance some more." And so Raul did his best to slowly drift away from the corner to the furthest side of the room.

The battle for a dance partner continued until Gretta finally came in and pulled the two boys apart and stood them up. "Listen, listen. Why don't you two just stop fighting for Nami's attention and just let her decide which one of you she wants?"

Nami stopped her flirting at hearing this. Chase and Ardwen were staring at her with curiosity. Why did she have to choose between the two of them? This had never been about picking one of them. It had been about jealousy with Porter right? She had never come into this with an idea of who she would walk away with.

"Uhm...well I..." Nami looked at her two suitors. They're block heads with girls, that was true, but they...they...they had something inside of them that was special. Ardwen with his brother and Chase with his mother. If she had to make a choice between one or the other? Had one of them really stolen her heart? "I choose..."

"Attention students, attention," Mr. Toriyama interrupted as he tapped a microphone up at the front. "A reminder that the voting for school captain, Miss Ishiyama, and best couple will end in a few minutes. Thank you."