Forgetting Arlo (3)

Start from the beginning

"Yes, sorry," I reply when I manage to pull myself out of my head.

He observes me for a few moments and then draws back. I can't help but wish he stayed close to me. His close proximity comforted me. It's extremely strange and alarming that this stranger could have that effect on me.

"Okay, I just thought—"

"Don't worry about it," I cut him off, politely. Under his intense gaze, I feel spellbound. Everything about him is enchanting. His onyx hair is silky and wavy—I could run my hands through it all day. His forest green eyes are out of this world. They hold a beauty most would dream of seeing. And his body structure would cause any man to be envious. "I was just in my own world."

The corners of his lips quirk upwards, "Were you now? Do you mind if I ask where you were?"

I flicker my eyes to him. "I was...lost in thought. Just thinking about the past."

He seems intrigued. I can tell he is listening to every word—fascinated. I like it. I like that he's so interested in me—in what I'm saying.

"Are you often thinking about the past?" He queries, curious.

I shrug my shoulders, relishing in the attention he's giving me. It's not every day someone likes me attracts the attention of a very good-looking guy. "I suppose. I like to compare the past to the present."

The man sighs and flutters his eyes away from me briefly, in thought. "I appear to do the same thing."

I arch an eyebrow. Now I'm the one who is who wants to know more. There is an air of mystery around him. His eyes are closed off—shut away from the outside world.

"What do you compare?" I blurt out the question before I can process it. As soon as I say it, I immediately regret it. That is personal. I don't want this man to think I'm nosy. With wide eyes, I splutter out an apology. "I'm sorry, that's none of my business."

He waves a dismissive hand, not at all offended. His smile eases my worry and causes my tense shoulders to relax.

"Chill, I'm not going to bite your head off." He jokes, causing an automatic smile to bless my face. "I'm Bailey."

I blink, realizing I didn't even introduce myself.

"Lily. Lily Cartwright."

"Cartwright, you say. Where have I heard that before?" He speaks to himself, quietly.

"My sister is Amber Cartwright. We're twins," I inform him, confused. I mean, he must have seen Amber here before.

Recognition lights up his green eyes and his lips part. "Ah, yes. I've heard of her before. I haven't met her though."

I cock my head to the side, wondering how he hasn't bumped into her before. This school is small. I'm sure everybody knows everyone.

"Oh," I blink, my shock evident.

"I have been away for a couple of months. I recently started school again," He tells me as if he owes me an explanation. Which he doesn't.

My curiosity grows.

"Were you ill?" I question, not thinking. For some reason, I want to know everything about this man. "Sorry, I did it again."

My cheeks burn red. I'm sure I resemble a tomato right now. How embarrassing.

He chuckles, "No, I wasn't ill. I just had a few things going on. I needed a break."

"I can relate to that," I mumble to myself. Somehow, he hears me though. Bells ring off in my head. Bells alerting me that he might not be human. Could he—could he be a supernatural creature? Perhaps a werewolf?