Chapter I (part 1/5)

I'm three months into my first semester at Mystery Spell University, and I feel great. I remember my first day here, I was so anxious... I kept getting lost in the maze of corridors. I've never really liked buildings like these when the architecture resonates with its huge administrative infrastructure. I didn't know anyone. Fortunately, Sarah appeared out of nowhere. She took me by the hand and showed me around. She is the most important person in my life here now, my guiding star! Speak of the devil, there's Sarah now, running over to me, looking tousled and breathless, but also mind-blowingly beautiful as always. The college grounds are empty, it's almost 22:30. She kept me waiting twenty minutes, but I'm used to it. Sarah is never on time.

"I'm so sorry, Margot. I was at the library finishing off my presentation for the Myths and Legends class tomorrow. 

- I was going to send out a search party, then I remembered that you just don't live in the same time frame as the rest of us. She mumbles my words, grimacing, which makes me chuckle. 

-I found his last assignment really hard! And, you know how much I love Professor Jones'class, but this time, I really struggled through. You probably didn't, did you ?! 

-Yes, you're right! There's something not quite right about me: the most complicated and mysterious it is, the more I like. Sarah looks at me and smiles.

-You have me glued at every class!  Even the gorgeous Sebastian is impressed by your knowledge. You're his fair-haired boy. Like all other girl students in this university, Sarah has fallen under the professor's spell... But calling him by his first name, Sebastian, is taking it a bit far! He deserves more respect! He certainly is drop dead gorgeous, but his experience and knowledge transcend his physical beauty. His publications are as astounding as his travel journals... And he's so young too! It's enough to give anyone a complex! Sarah stares at me so insistently that I end up blushing badly. I am not his pet!

-The only reason I came to Mystery Spell in the first place was to attend his "Myths and Legends" class. I just like the subject.  And I'm so glad I did! Professor Jones' lectures, his courses, and even his assignments are so engaging... It's almost not like working so much it's fun. I don't regret my decision for a second, even if I'm paying for it now... My face suddenly clouds over as dark thoughts creep into my mind. I try to ward them off, but Sarah's not fooled.

-Something wrong, Margot? You look upset... When she looks at me that way, I can't help but open up to her. And anyway, that's what friends are for, right? To cheer you up when you're feeling down...

-I don't want to trouble you with it all...

-Are you kidding me? I spent most of last week complaining to you about my ex! Your turn to spill your heart out. Tell me who's been giving you a hard time so I can give him a good piece of my mind!

-My father... Sarah tightens her arms around mine. She knows that my family situation is complicated. I left, slamming the door in my father's face, and his last words still resound painfully in my mind. 

-Has he finally decided to call you?

-That'd be the day! He's too stubborn for that...

-Sounds very much like someone I know. She gives me a wink and manages to force a smile out of me. Good on you, Sarah!...

-I had my mother on the phone, it didn't go too well. I even broke my cellphone's screen because of it.

-I knew you were clumsy, but not violent!

-she told me that the situation was ridiculous, that I was just playing up and worrying everybody selfishly, telling me that I should just come home.

-Ok, that would have made me mad too. She makes it sound like you ran off with a bunch of drugged up hippies...

-I hate hearing her whisper, phoning me in secret, so my dad doesn't find out she's talking to me.

-But didn't you tell them you were the top student in early all subjects, and that you're happy here? My fingers start to tingle so much this conversation is getting me worked up. I have to calm down, but I can't help it.

-Of course, but what does she care? It's not what they decided for me, so she doesn't want to hear about it. It's unbearable!  I mime along with my words, lifting my arms up in the air energetically almost knocking into a man who's just coming out of the teachers' office. Sebastian Jones. As agile as a panther, he leaps to the side, to not collide with me. Sarah bursts into laughter and Professor Jones who was rather taken by surprise at first, give us both a smile. ...You nitwit, Margot!...