"I locked myself in his bedroom, but I can't find any of my clothes."

"That's fine baby, don't worry. Have you got all of your other things? Look for your handbag, purse, and if you can, try and remember where you put your clothes."

"Okay..." Picking up her handbag from the corner of the room and checking everything was still in it, she jumped at a loud knock on the door.

"Why did you lock me out?" Jay shouted through the door. When he got no response, he started to bang harder on it. "Let me in, you stupid slut! I want to play!"

"Go away!" Ally screamed. She held her phone tighter, closing her eyes as she listened to Clay's deep breathing.

"I'm going to murder that man," Clay growled, taking a sharp right as he headed to the neighbouring town. "Don't let him in, and don't hang up."

"You sly bitch!" Jay's voice was more aggressive now, and Ally could hear him storming to the front door and locking it.

"I'm trapped, Clay," she whispered urgently. "He's locking me in, I can't get out."

"I know, baby. I'm driving as fast as I can, I'm coming to get you."

She heard thundering footsteps in quick succession, then a loud thud and a cracking noise as the door shook on it hinges. "He's breaking in, I can't go anywhere. I'm trapped," Ally repeated, her features white as she watched the door shake again and the frame crack.

As Clay started to soothe her again, Jay ran at the door one more time, and it fell inwards, crashing onto the carpet. Seeing her phone, he snatched it from her and smashed it against the wall. "Don't you dare run away from me," he grinned menacingly, moving closer, "you can't leave, it's just getting interesting."

"I'm sorry, I have a boyfriend. I didn't mean to give you the wrong impression, but I have to go now," she replied, her voice shaking despite her best efforts. Slipping past and hurrying to the front door, she gasped as rough arms clamped around her waist. "Let me go!"

"No, I don't think I will." Lifting her up and pulling her back to his bedroom, he gave her a wink. "Now get that duvet off, I want to have some fun."

He yanked on the fabric and Ally gasped, holding tightly onto it and trying to back away. "I said LEAVE ME ALONE! LET ME GO!" She screamed, but she tripped over a shoe and fell to the ground, hitting her head against the wall. Taking advantage of her dizziness, Jay pulled her back to the bed and picked up where he had left off.

"Jay? Jay!"

Freezing for a second, he gave Ally a threatening look and pinned her arms above her head. She promptly screamed at the top of her lungs, and he slapped her across the face, shocking her into silence.

"Jay, what's going on in there?"

Not responding, he winced and started to flush a deep red. He heard a key turning in the front door and scrambled up, running into the hall. "Nothing! I'm busy now, Wil, can you come back later?"

"Don't lie to me," Wil replied in a harsh voice, heading down the hall. "I heard the screaming. Please tell me you didn't do it again." As he rounded the corner, he caught sight of Ally and clenched his fists. "I TOLD YOU TO STOP! You can't let yourself get to this point!"

"I- I... But this one came willingly!" Jay pleaded, holding his palms out with an innocent expression.

"I don't believe you, dickhead. Go sit in the living room, you're in deep shit, Schlatt." When he didn't move, he forcibly pushed him away and cautiously turned to the terrified Ally. "Are you okay, Miss?"

Wrapping the duvet tighter around her body, Ally shifted slightly away and nodded. "I think so..."

"I'm sorry, he can't control it. I'm Wilbur, by the way," he smiled, sitting next to her on the bed.

"Nice to meet you - even in these circumstances," Ally joked, relaxing more in his presence. "Your friend has mental problems. What do you mean, he can't control it?"

"Give me a minute," Wilbur answered absently. He disappeared for a second, towing Jay back into the room but keeping him away from Ally. They sat next to each other and Wilbur reached a hand up onto his head, threading his fingers through his hair.

Leaning into the touch, Jay closed his eyes contentedly. Ally gasped as horns appeared in the mess of hair, eyes wide as she watched with an open mouth.

Jay started making a peculiar noise, almost as if he was... purring? His eyes opened again, and their pupils faded from deep black to a light blue.

"Better?" Wilbur asked him casually, and he nodded shyly. "You're an idiot, you know that?"

"Why?" Jay frowned, but then he caught sight of Ally and let out a frustrated groan. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to," he pleaded, looking ashamed and hugging his knees to his chest.

"Hey, it's okay," Wilbur murmured, "at least you didn't kill her this time!"

Finally finding her voice, Ally demanded, "This time?! Who are you - what are you?"

Just then there was the sound of screeching tires, and a car door slamming. Clay ran into the house, stopping dead at the scene before him. "What the hell?"

Forgetting about her duvet, Ally jumped up and ran into his arms, Jay and Wilbur averting their eyes. "You came!"

"Of course I came, you moron," Clay murmured, hugging her tight. "You don't need to get naked every time you see me, you know," he laughed. Pulling his shirt off over his head, he slipped it onto her body like a dress.

Wilbur cleared his throat awkwardly from where he was sat with his eyes covered. "Are you decent?"

"Oh shit, sorry. Yeah, I've got clothes on now."

Giving her an easy grin as he uncovered his eyes, he went to speak - but was cut off.

"So are you the one I need to kill?" Clay demanded. He stepped closer, clenching his fists threateningly.

Jay snarled loudly as he got closer to Wilbur, tensing and moving protectively in front of him. Tutting quietly and holding him back, Wilbur gave Clay a withering look. "I wouldn't do that if I were you. Unless you'd like to die, then attacking a Darkened's mate is probably not a good idea."

"A... Darkened?" Ally pressed, tilting her head to one side curiously.

Wilbur looked between the two of them, then sighed. "I guess we've got some explaining to do."

---------------------------------------------------------

New characters, yayyy! We've brought in reinforcements, and they come in snacc form.

Shameless Discord plug to chat, get chapter updates and sneak peeks:
https://discord.gg/nbaHfvB