CHAPTER 18

On board the Millennium Falcon:

"Are you sure this thing works?"

"Stop panicking, Finn!"

But Rose had to admit that she was not very reassured either. She was now regretting putting Kylo Ren out of commission before he could explain how to use the cloaking device. The energy field generated by the object was nothing more than a portable version of the Haven base shield that had allowed them to fool the lookout droids' detectors. Fastening it on the outside shell of the ship had therefore made sense to them.

"And what if we lose it in hyperspace? Or when we land?"

"That's enough, Finn!" Rose shouted. "Just before going back to sub-light speed, activate the command and we should become invisible. Then we stick to the plan: get down to the surface of Naboo with no one the wiser, go to the coordinates sent by Leia, and once there we get in touch with Beccar Dugg."

"You make it sound like child's play!" Finn grumbled. "And what if there's a problem? What if, when we exit hyperspace, we find ourselves totally exposed in the middle of Hux's armada? They'll think they've won the jackpot! How long is this thing supposed to cloak us on enemy radars?"

"Kylo Ren said it depends on the size of the ship ..."

The young man still looked unconvinced. "Honestly, Rose, I have a bad feeling about that. And what has Rey been doing with him this whole time?"

"Finn, let her breathe a little, OK?" Rose sighed.

But the former stormtrooper scowled once more.

"I'm sorry, you're asking too much of me! And I thought you would be on my side on this one! All this guy wants is to be rid of us! Rey believes he'll help us without complaining, but she's wrong. You said yourself that he was ready to leave with the shuttle on Berith!"

"Yes, that was his intention..."

Finn glanced questioningly at his girlfriend, who seemed lost in her thoughts ever since they had taken off.

"Rose ... What is it? Did he tell you something when you were both alone? Did he threaten you? If that bastard did anything to you, I swear ..."

"No Finn, stop it. He didn't do anything to me. It's just..."

"Just what?" Finn asked, more and more intrigued.

"Kylo Ren will help us, that's all."

Finn let out a half-amused, half-disenchanted hiccup. He had absolutely no faith in what she had just said. "And since when do you trust Kylo Ren?"

The young woman took a deep breath and turned to face him.

"He will help us because he's in love with Rey."