Chapter 24: Hush

Začít od začátku

The words stung. They were hard and resolute. Swash looked exhausted after his little tirade, and slumped back in the chair. I could only imagine what he was going through. A single working parent with an emotionally damaged son didn't need a complication such as me. He had essentially showed me the door, and had given me the option to walk out of it. But I couldn't just leave. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I did. I had caused all this with a few careless words, and it was my job to fix it. I tried to stand straighter, to give myself a look of purpose.

"I'm going to stay."
"Why? I know you don't want to be here. You have a boyfriend and a very different life. You don't need any of this."
"I owe it to Bradley. I have to apologize. I have to make this right."

Swash stared at me, dolefully. Then he got up from the chair and walked toward me. He stopped barely inches from my face and I could feel his breath.

"I'll let you stay, because Bradley needs to know that he's not worthless and hated by everyone he meets. But if you ever make him cry; if you ever give me a reason to regret letting you stay..." He left the threat hanging and walked towards the guest room.
"Hey, where are you going?"
"Bradley is in my room," he said quietly. "I suggest you stay with him tonight."

He closed the guest room door and left me standing there. I sighed loudly. This was a much different Swash, the fatherly protective Swash. Not the impulsive mischievous Swash or the dangerously sexy Swash. This Swash scared me. I walked into his room. The smell of him was overwhelming. I tip-toed to the bed and lay down quietly. Bradley was sleeping in the middle and I didn't want to wake him. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep, but the turbid emotions kept me very much awake.

"Dad?"

I opened my eyes again. Bradley was staring at me. His look went from confused to terrified.

"Dad!" He cried out in panic.
"Shh, Bradley. I won't hurt you."

He looked at me with tears brimming. Maybe he thought he was still dreaming. I touched his face. He seemed to flinch a little, but he let my hand stay. I rubbed his cheek and tried to smile.

"I'm sorry, Bradley. I'm sorry about everything. I didn't mean to sound angry last time. I'm here now. Nobody's going to hurt you."
"Promise?" he looked at me with pleading eyes.
"I promise. And I'm going to be here until you wake up."
"Where's Daddy?"
"He's in the other room. He's really tired, and he said I should protect you tonight."

Bradley smiled faintly and held my hand. He closed his eyes again. I smiled back weakly. Sure, I was never going to be a permanent part of his life, but that didn't mean I couldn't be his friend. Swash said he needed friends right now. That was my role here. To be Bradley's friend. I kissed his forehead and closed my eyes. Somehow, I found the power to sleep.

When I woke up, Bradley was gone. I sat up and stared at my unfamiliar environment. Okay, not completely unfamiliar; I had slept here once. But I didn't feel entirely comfortable in this space. It was Swash's personal space. I felt like an invader. Like a germ. I dragged myself out of bed and walked into the hall.

"Bradley?"
"Here," came a muffled reply. I went into the bathroom and found him rinsing his toothbrush. He beamed at me. He looked happy. I couldn't resist a smile.
"Did you sleep well?"
"Nobody chased me. They were scared of you." He smiled at me and hopped off the stool.
"That's good. I'll be a really bad bodyguard if I wasn't scary."
He laughed a little. I could feel my heart flip. It was the happiest sound I ever heard. He walked to me, looked up into my eyes and smiled, then ran off into the living room. I walked behind him, smiling. It was hard to believe that this was the same kid Swash said was depressed. I stopped by the guest room door and knocked. There was no reply. I opened the door gently and looked in. Swash was sleeping, sprawled with his arms and legs apart. It was a little funny. He must have been really tired. I decided to leave him to sleep for a few minutes. Maybe I could make breakfast. But I had to wake him up later so he wouldn't miss work. I walked back into the living room and found Bradley watching Discovery. He was completely engrossed by what they were showing on the screen. His unwavering focus was admirable. I opened the fridge and looked around. There was a little less food than usual, but a large carton of milk.