The Flashlight

Tck-ch.

The lamp doesn't work. Great.

I don't have a lamp.

I reach to feel around the nightstand. Something smooth, metal, touches my hand. It has to be a flashlight. I pick it up and click it on. The room is plain. Made of dirt. There is nothing besides the dirty mattress and the nightstand. A ratty red blanket has fallen onto the floor next to the mattress. Other than that the room is empty.

After a quick turn about, I realize that there are no doors. I check the ceiling, but it is also packed solid. My pats on the walls echo through the room. My breathing quickens.

"First time?" I jump at the voice. "Don't worry. They'll bring you back."

"Who?"

My question is answered with terrifying silence.

"Hello?"

"They are trying..."

"Who are you?" I shout.

"Oh? You weren't strong enough?"

"What?"

The room brightens. And there is a noose lightly swaying in front of me.

"There is only one escape."

"What?"

"Go on. Do it. You know you want to." The disembodied voice cackles.

I rush to the otherside of the room and pound on the wall. "Let me out of here!"

The noose seems to come closer each time I change places. In a flash of light I am on a stool in the middle of the room, noose in my hands. "Take it. Do it. Here. Do it! Put it on. Jump."

My hands shake and I feel the tears build in my eyes as I put on the noose. I don't have any control. It tightens and I feel hands on my back.

"Please don't. This isn't right. This is sick."

"This is Hell."

My body jerks as I am pushed from the stool, and the flashlight clatters to the ground.

Tck-ch.

The lamp doesn't work. Great.