Jenny gets angry

Jenny

The mist had all but dissipated by the time Jenny walked back across the small paved plaza on which her workplace fronted, the unimpeded sunshine rapidly dissolving what patches of dampness remained to darken the flower boxes and paving stones. The Technology Vetting office was housed in a downtown high-rise tower, prime real estate which despite their depleted numbers they continued to occupy thanks to the quirks of their lease arrangement and a glut in the market for office space, a consequence of the economic downturn. Entering through the ground floor lobby, Jenny was intercepted on her way to the elevator by a well-groomed man of middle years.

"Excuse me. Jenny Johnston, isn't it? Do you mind if I have a word."

For a moment it occurred to Jenny that here was the real estate agent, come to tell her their floor had finally been repossessed. He certainly looked the part. Then thoughts of Simon's meddling replaced this preliminary supposition with an alternative that was much more ominous.

"What is it?" She attempted to put authority into her voice, cover for the sudden urge she felt to run for the exit. She turned to face him, squared her shoulders. "Is there something I can help you with?"

"My name is Daniel Brenham."

Jenny frowned. She knew the name from somewhere. If only her agitation weren't blocking her memory.

"From, Corvitz and Associates, recruitment consultants." He opened his wallet and extracted a business card which he handed to her. "You googled us the other day I believe."

"I did but ..." Her surprise at the man's sudden appearance, the equally sudden release of tension as she belatedly realized who he was; these had left her mind a touch befuddled. She rallied, marshalling her thoughts in time to finish her reply: "... but how could you know that?"

"IntSec are not the only ones with resources to call on. And you've been on our list for a while, you must know that."

Jenny pursed her lips. "But I accessed your site from the office, and we take precautions." She paused, suspicions growing. "And how could you have known I would be here just now? You didn't detect my visit to your site at all, did you? You've been tipped off. Who by, as if I couldn't guess?"

He cast his eyes downward. "We pride ourselves on our discretion. That's something you can count on too, by the way."

"Well, thank you for taking the time, ..." she checked the card, "Mr Brenham. But unless you know something I don't, I'm not on the job market just yet."

"Fair enough. I'm pleased to have made your acquaintance at last. And it's only reinforced my conviction that great things await you. When the time comes, you know where to find me." He reached out and took her hand, gave it a quick shake then turned and left the building. Jenny stood and watched him go.

*

"What the hell was that all about."

Simon looked up from his desk. "My surprising you in the park? I would have thought ..."

"No, not that. The head-hunter in the lobby. Don't try pretending innocence."

"He found you did he? I just thought a reminder of what you're putting at risk might focus your thinking."

"My thinking ... Career advice? From you, of all people?" Jenny had come to a stop halfway across the desolate wasteland that separated the door from their small camp and its clutter. "First this morning, now this. What the hell are you doing Simon? Trying to get rid of me? Now that you've had your way, I'm surplus to requirements, am I?"

"Jenny, ..." Having spent a lifetime successfully avoiding awkward situations, Simon was less equipped than he might have been to deal with this one.

"No, we haven't spoken about it yet, have we? Too delicate a subject for you, is it? What's that thing you men say: all she needs is a good ..." Jenny's voice had progressively raised, yet her gaze was fixed not on Simon but on a point a foot to the left of his head, as if her words were being flung not at him but so as to fly past and die against the wall behind. Her tone softened: "... Don't worry, I'm not going to say it. But maybe you're right. Only not in any way a man would ever use those words. Maybe I did need to be woken up from the state I'd let myself get into."

"So what we talked about this morning, with your friend? You've given up on that, right?"

"That's not something I intend to discuss with you."

"But Jenny ..." Simon directed a glance toward the camera up on the wall, as if this reminder might pacify her.

There was no evidence she even noticed. She tilted her head a fraction, enough that she was now looking him in the face. "Yes? Jenny what?" She glared at him, searching for the eloquence that had deserted him. "Oh never mind." She turned and went to her desk. "There's only one thing that's saving you right now." Her voice had become calmer, her lips a taut smile.

"Oh?"

"While you've been busy meddling in my life, your mother and I have been meddling in yours."

"Dare I ask?" Jenny's rage appeared to have gone into remission, replaced by a steely matter-of-factness. It left Simon wondering whether she had run out of anger, or simply run out of words to express it. They sat there staring at each other, uncharacteristically inarticulate.

"We spoke on the phone last night. I invited her to visit my apartment for dinner sometime, but she wouldn't hear of that. Insisted instead that I come and visit her. She was wonderful about it, she always is, isn't she? Beneath that arch exterior of hers. Tried to make it out that I would be doing her a favor, that I was too busy with my job, that preparing a meal would be a pleasant way for her to fill an afternoon."

"And I've been invited?"

"Summoned, I think, would be a better word. Tomorrow night."

"I see. Perhaps." He allowed himself the faintest of smiles. "Am I to be there as my mother's guest or as your date?" Simon delivered the line flawlessly, as always. No flinching at the reaction it might provoke.

Jenny's reply was equally unruffled. "Don't forget, just because I've calmed down, doesn't mean you're forgiven."

"I see."

She looked away again. "Of course, I wasn't fooled. I could see your mother was merely conniving again. This way, at the end of the evening we will be going home together."

Amused and relieved, Simon's lip briefly curled. "So my being invited: that was actually her idea, not yours?"

"Mmm," Jenny shrugged, noncommittal but smiling now. "I guess so."

"Well, in that case ..."

"Shh. Leave me alone. We still have jobs to do, remember? I'm still looking for that hacker. And now there's that pharmaceutical plant Chris told me about. I need to track it down."

Simon relaxed in his chair, observing her at work. Diligent. For a moment it was almost like having the old Jenny back.