A Reaper's 'Life'

Eerie purple light that filled my dorm room flickered as my roommate struggled into the dark hued room. Her hair was a heap on her head- which meant the Soul Chamber had over flowed again and she and the Reaper team had to deal with it. She threw her graffiti-covered scythe on our dresser-one of her porcelain dolls toppling off the shaken black shelf.  I looked over at her with bored green eyes- expecting her to grumble then explain her trouble with extreme exaggerations.

"Rough day?" Was the simple question that rolled out of my 'always frowning' mouth.

"You wouldn't believe it." Came her hissed reply. I nodded, going back to my book to remember the page- she wouldn't let me read while she talked. I put my worn leather book down and looked up at her, waiting.

"The Mail Man needs to come." I sighed, looking over the side of my lace covered bed. One of the disadvantages of being born a Reaper- you get stuck in the worse half of the world. The 'older' part is what the higher-ups call it. Or you are placed in the room with the portal to the Living World- which is also where the Mail Man arrives through to pick up and recycle the souls we Reapers capture.

"Isarina!" Came Cecilia's aggravated bark. I looked back up at her, a thoughtful look in my eyes."What is it?" She asked, slinking, gracefully over to the corner on my bed.

A grin crept onto my face, making my roommate's eyes widen in alarm. "What if we go through the portal ourselves?" I asked, enticed by the idea. I leaned forward so I was in Ceci's face.

"Isarina. That's insane." She replied, backing away.

"Oh come on! We've been there before!" Grin still on my porcelain face.

"Isarina...we weren't actually living then though." She argued, but I could see the idea weaving it's temptation through her mind. I wasn't usually one to manipulate others like this but this time I just couldn't stop myself. Black curls bouncing around, I leaned back into my original reclined position and smiled at Ceci.

"It's your choice." My tone back in it's typical bored monotone. My hands wandered over to my book and latched onto the leather cover, bringing it to my face and opening it eagerly.

"Isarina...You're not playing fair." Cecilia whined. "You know it's easy to tempt me!"

Lowering the book so my smiling eyes showed, I asked. "Is that a yes?" My friend nodded a helpless, but excited look on her child-like face. She tucked a loose gold strand of hair behind her ear. Staring into me with green eyes, I met her with mine.

"What is it?" I inquired, shifting slightly under her fiery green gaze.

"Why are you doing this? You're usually such a goody-two shoes."

"I'm bored." Those words, meant to be a lie, seemed to ring true and echo over and over in my head.