Artemis tried not to widen her grin too much as she heard the pride seeping out of her uncle's voice. As far back as Artemis could remember, she was always unnaturally gifted with the hunt. It was nothing supernatural, or magical, but simply a skill she had been born with.

Clint thought she took after him. Natasha thought she was a prodigy.

Both were correct.

"She was very good and I just didn't want anybody to try and take advantage of her because of her abilities," Clint concluded, shrugging his shoulders, noticing as well as Artemis that none of the Avengers seemed to be buying it.

Clint wasn't lying but Artemis knew that his want to keep her hidden was rooted in more than just his concern for her wellbeing- it was also rooted in his fear of losing his family.

"Then why train her?" Thor questioned, finally chiming in on the conversation after casting a hazardous eye at Loki.

"Because she was just too damn good," Natasha answered, her red hair bobbing as she laughed. "The kid was scary good and if we didn't teach her, I'm sure she would have figured it out on her own."

Natasha sent Artemis a reassuring wink and it was a sweet thought but Artemis didn't need it because she wasn't embarrassed by her skills. She had been begging her uncle to allow her to be involved with the Avengers, to use her talents, but every time she brought it up he rejected it.

Artemis could have just ignored him, gone off on her own to claim the adventure she always wanted, but her undying loyalty for him prevented her from even arguing.

No matter how many faults Artemis had, she was always loyal to those loyal to her.

"I guess," Clint started, the wrinkles around his eyes more prominent as he spoke. "I guess after these last couple of days, I realized that I might not be around much longer. It was important to me that you all knew about her, worst-case scenario."

Artemis didn't miss the worrying crease on his forehead or the way he cast his eyes down in reminiscence of a time that hadn't even passed yet.

"You were always so dramatic," she smiled, patting his hand in a way that offered him the finest amount of reassurance, her presence always had a calming effect on her uncle. "I know this isn't easy for you but I'm ready. I've been training to be a part of a team like this my entire life. I want to help. Although, your timing couldn't have been worse..." she mumbled, thinking back to that beautiful elk she had almost caught.

Clint knew by the look in her eyes what she was referring too, the same look she held when she was a young runt furious about losing her prey. "You could never settle for losing your target," he chuckled.

"You know me," she said, her eyes wandering back to Loki- something her uncle didn't miss. "I don't like to lose."

"The more I learn about you the more I like you," Thor boomed, coming over to pat her back so roughly that she coughed a little bit of water up. "I think that you'd be a great member!"

"Well, we'd have to actually view these so-called talents of hers," Tony stated, but she could tell by the faint smile on his lips that he was merely teasing.

Steve sat up and walked over to her and extended his hand. "Any friend, or in this case, a family member of Clint's is a friend of mine."

This time, Artemis felt secure enough to finally grin back as she stood to shake his hand. "You really don't know how much this means to me," she said adamantly.

Artemis loved her Uncle Clint, she loved her Aunt Nat, and she loved Laura and all her kids, but there had always been something missing from her life.