chapter XIV

7:15pm:
the alarm was quick to wake up shane, who had been excited for this trip for so long. actually, he was much more nervous than excited. if all went well, he would come back with a fiancé.

ryan, on the other hand, was much more lethargic as he reached to silence the alarm. he groaned in bed as his boyfriend kissed him awake. then he smiled and was in a much better mood. he turned on his side and kissed shane's forehead, then shuffled out of bed to get ready.

7:43:
shane and ryan locked the front door of their apartment (ryan double checked to make sure it was locked), then went down the elevator to get to ryan's car. from their it wouldn't be a long drive to the airport, and so shane proposed they stop for coffee on the way.

about twenty minutes later their car had pulled up in front of a local coffee shop, DeerMoon café.
"you go i'm tireddd..." ryan complained to shane.
"you'll be sitting in the plane for a long time though, stretch your legs out bergara."
"i'm not the one with giant legs i think i'll be fine. plus, it's easier if i stay in the car, cause there's no parking spots around."
"alright then, i'll be back in a second." shane said, grasping ryan's hand in goodbye. he locked eyes with him from behind the window as he closed the car door, and he mouthed to him 'i love you', which ryan mouthed back.
on his way to the café, shane considered how far the two of them had come in these months together. even before that, they had been so close. never had shane known someone he had clicked with so well.

he liked how he never had to ask ryan what coffee he wanted, he just knew.

it was little things like these that made shane smile through the day. it was little moments like that behind the car window that proved to him ryan was who he wanted to spend his life with.

8:07:
shane finished his order and sat at an empty table while he waited. he was zoned out when it happened. not on his phone or really thinking about anything. he was just disconnected completely.
there was a sudden loud sound, but shane didn't process it at first. it simply integrated itself into the nothingness he was already thinking of. but then he heard someone say two words. and they were forever engraved into his mind.
"someone's hurt!"
those words would replay in shane's head for the rest of his life. he would replay that moment so much he would memorize every detail of the world around him at that time. as the clock on the wall hit 8:11.

8:11
shane ran out the front door of the café to see what had happened. it took a moment for him to fully understand what he was seeing.
there had been an accident.
it couldn't have been any other car.
it had to have been ryan's car.
he could see the place the cars collided. he saw the marks ryan's car's tires had made on the road. he could hear the faint sound of sirens in the distance, slowly growing louder.
but he couldn't see ryan.

he ran to the car. he ran across the street not caring to look around him. he just ran. and that short walk felt like a hundred miles. he felt panic, and a small voice in his head told him "ryan's alright, and we'll get an uber, and insurance will cover it, and it'll be okay."
but it wouldn't be okay.
he heard a voice on the phone describing the scene.
"there's a man on the road. he's hurt and unconscious. he's bleeding a lot, but he's still alive."
shane followed the sound, telling himself it wasn't ryan.

but it was.

8:19
shane sat down by ryan's body, holding his hand in his own. an ambulance was at the scene now, getting ready to take ryan to the hospital. they bombarded shane with questions, but he couldn't think straight, and every answer was a monotonous and robotic one.

he sat in the ambulance, hands crossed and hugging his arms. it was to keep him from shaking. the paramedics tried to comfort him upon learning their relationship. one of them even tried to have a conversation with shane about burritos to get his mind off what had happened. it wasn't much use, but shane was thankful they cared enough to try.

10:28
it's crazy how much can change in a few hours. shane sat by ryan's hospital bed, listening to the systematic beep letting everyone know he was still alive. it was all so unreal. he still was hopeful his alarm would wake him up and he would open his eyes to see ryan smiling at him.
but alas, those things only happen in stories.

he leaned over ryan's body and placed a kiss on his forehead. "don't leave me ryan", he whispered, for the first time not knowing if he would.

————
hey guys it's avia!
so i haven't written in a while and i'm really sorry, i'll try my best to make more regular updates. just a heads up that there's only a few more chapters left of the book :)
thanks to everyone for all the support! i would love it if you commented and voted, it would mean so much~~