chapter VI

the early morning light broke through the thin curtains ryan had hanging over his windows. this light shone directly onto shane's face, slowly dragging him out of sleep. eventually shane resigned to being awakened and stretch out his arms, keeping his eyes closed, and slightly shifting his positioning, when he realized something was wrapped around him. he snapped open his eyes in concern, stopping mid-yawn, to see what it was that was holding onto him, a realization that warmed his heart.
it was ryan.
he had thrown his arm over shane, probably unknowingly, and was sleeping with his head pressed against shane's chest, who could feel the warmth of ryan's breaths as he snored into his shirt. shane smiled at the situation, feeling his cheeks growing warmer with his not-so-innocent thoughts. not wanting to wake the smaller man, shane was careful as he slipped out of bed and towards the bathroom, wishing he could have stayed there with ryan forever, and regretted ruining the moment by leaving.
•••
shane splashed water on his face, making sure not to dirty the bathroom. every room in ryan's house was perfectly decorated and organized, and shane took care to keep it that way. it was so perfectly ryan; he didn't want to change a thing about it. shane looked up at his reflection while drying his face, and something caught his eye. he leaned closer to the mirror, his heartbeat accelerating at the realization. how could it be..?
a single strand of white hair.
shane was aging. he was aging. how was that possible, he thought to himself. he tried to remain calm, think of what could be causing it, pondering for about five minutes before realizing he needed help to reach a conclusion.
shane made his way to the kitchen, pulling out a notepad and a pen, and began to write.

hey Ry-
i left early to get some work done at the office. i'll see you later today. hope you slept well ♡

shane severely contemplated drawing that heart. probably more than he should have. but he let his mind drift back to the events of last night. ryan felt something towards him. and this morning...
shane wanted to take his chance, make his move. what was the worse that could happen?
shane left the note on the kitchen counter, swung his jacket over his shoulder, and was on his way.
•••
several hours later, ryan began to drift awake. a sharp pain ran through his head and he openly groaned about it. it was definitely a hangover.
he sluggishly slipped out of bed and washed his face, then made his way to the kitchen, half expecting to see shane sitting there, probably drinking coffee and having breakfast fully cooked and waiting. when he found the kitchen empty, it surprised him. then he noticed a note, held down by the weight of a pen, sitting on his countertop. he made his way to it, squinting to read the text until he picked it up. it was from shane:

i left early to get some work done at the office

ryan smiled at the sweet words, making his way back to his room to get ready for work as well, then suddenly he remembered. a realization that made him stop in his tracks, causing his heart to drop. shane has lied.
they were on break this week.

*sorry for such a short chapter, i'm super busy with school but i hope it still met your expectations and you enjoyed the read! feel free to comment any suggestions, i'm always looking to be a better writer :)