Part 10

Cara took the lead and headed to the front door, her sister following closely behind her. Their mother ushered them inside. Ms. Jenson headed towards the staircase and sat down on the second step. She took a couple of deep breaths in. Standing before her, Cara could feel her heart break as she watched her mother look so lifeless and lost, sitting on the stairs. She couldn't find the right words to say. Kailee slowly stepped forward, feeling awkward and out of place. "Kailee," Ms. Jenson sighed. "What's happening? Tell me what to do."

Kailee licked her lips and took another step forward. "Mom, I'm sorry." Her voice was filled with heavy sincerity. "About Dad, my behaviour lately, everything."

Ms. Jenson's eyes were full of tears. "Talk to me."

"A lot-" Kailee's voice cracked. She swallowed. "-has been happening. And- I don't know. I let those things happen cause I couldn't figure myself out. I- I don't even know if I can go back to school. I'll look like an idiot!" Now, Kailee was crying. Ms. Jenson got up and wrapped her daughter in a big hug. A long overdue gesture. Cara could feel herself tearing up. She moved closer to the staircase. Kailee's eyes met hers.

Cara understood everything in her sister's eyes. Everything that went on that night would stay between them. They would work on a close enough story to tell Ms. Jenson. Until maybe one day they were ready enough to tell the full story. Everything. Perhaps they would find an alternative solution on Kailee and her current Middle School situation. But, most importantly, they were going to work on Kailee figuring herself out again. Now that Kailee's tornado had hit and was over, the aftermath was just as important. Picking up the pieces and getting things back to normal would take a lot of work and patience.

The End