Making Time to Write

As we all know well, the hardest part of writing a story is of course, forcing ourselves to start! 

Maybe we haven't got enough time on our hands, maybe we worry about the outcomes, maybe we worry that we'll write crap (and we'll talk about that later!), but any way you look at it, we writers are always finding reasons to avoid doing what we named ourselves for- writing.

So here is our humble advice to you on the matter: Sit down and make time to write. 

You can always find an excuse not to start doing something! Put those excuses in the trash can and put that pen to your sheet of paper. There's no time to write like the present! 

We've all been through it. The best thing you can do is get down to it, make yourself a schedule for your writing, and stick to it.

Our Tips on Creating a Writing Schedule:

Set time aside. Maybe it's right when you wake up, maybe it's right before bed, or maybe it's during your lunch break at work. It doesn't matter, so long as it's something that you can stick to.

Use a timer. Writing for a few minutes is better than not writing at all. Set a timer for fifteen minutes, focus only on writing, and see how far you've gotten in that time alone. It's okay to write in short bursts. 

Don't use writing as a means to procrastinate on other work. Seriously! Don't! 

Push yourself, but not too hard. You don't want to burn yourself out, and you have to think of your mental health. Don't let writing be something that you dread, and don't equate a word count to your self-worth.

If you're finding it hard to stay motivated even with these ideas in mind, find some friends! There's always someone to word war with if you look on the forums or in writing groups. Many people are happy to help if you just reach out!

The best thing to do to spread your creative wings is to just write something. That's the secret! As long as you get started, there's no telling where you'll go! 

We hope some of this has been helpful for you! If you have any questions, please reach out to any of us for help! We're glad to be here with you all.